1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Darn, I was so thinking I was smart with the Christmas lights...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Enjaytoo, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Enjaytoo

Enjaytoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Tempe
    ...but alas... [​IMG] So, last week we had a predator visit the pens (scaled the 6 foot block fence, trampled the plants around the pens and climbed on top and started to rip up the wire before the dogs scared it off). I reinforced the tops, and had the brainiac idea to add a string of Christmas lights...set on the most annoying, blinking, strobe light type setting. I pushed all the red ones thru the (dry...very dry) reed fencing so they pointed up (DBF said it looked like a runway for Owls [​IMG] )

After all of this, as I went out to gaze upon my Disco-inspired aviaries, I remembered the "other" evil creatures that I battle with. Roof Rats. Now granted, I have eliminated or discouraged most of them with a strict regime of picking up all food at dusk, Live traps, snap traps, Electric trap AND plaster rodent balls, but I still know they occasionally visit just to annoy me and chew things that dont make any sense (to me anyway) So as I was thinking about how smart I was with the Christmas lights poking through reed fencing, I just as quickly was very discouraged to realize it could all go up in fire ball if a rodent decides to test his chompers on the strand. [​IMG]

Bummer. Guess I need to go read up on those Night Guard lights.

2. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    Maybe you can post some of those peanut butter/plaster of paris balls up there. Surely more appetizing than lights....

3. Enjaytoo

Sep 8, 2009
    Tempe
    Quote:Yes, true, I tried a few up there in the beginning but was so afraid they would fall and my dogs would eat them. They (the rats) took a few of the balls when I mixed in cocoa powder (along with peanut butter) but the traps (the snaps and the electric) worked the best so far. Now if only those would repel a hungry Coyote, Bobcat or Coon [​IMG]

4. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  5. Enjaytoo

Sep 8, 2009
    Tempe
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Oh my goodness, that video was hilarious!! Thank you!

Tonight I am trying those battery powered strobe lights that you put in Jack-o-lanterns...Its a total Disco Chicken fest out there with flashing lights and blinking red green and blue [​IMG]

6. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Oh my goodness, that video was hilarious!! Thank you!

Tonight I am trying those battery powered strobe lights that you put in Jack-o-lanterns...Its a total Disco Chicken fest out there with flashing lights and blinking red green and blue [​IMG]

Ditto that! I am still laughing at that thing![​IMG]

7. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I really recommend the Nite Guard Lights. We have had the same 3 for almost 2 years now and they work great. We have all kinds of weather here in MT and they have made it through all of it. We have fox, raccoon and skunk and an occasional coyote in the area. None of these has bothered us since we installed these. They were $20.00 each when I bought them but I saw a special on them a few months ago. They are solar powered, so you wouldn't have to worry about anything chewing on cords. If you have any questions I might be able to help. [​IMG]

8. Enjaytoo

Sep 8, 2009
    Tempe
    Well, I was all set to order the Nite Guards. Then I go pokin' around the internet and ended up buying a solar string of 100, flashing red lights. IDK, I guess I figured if 2 flashing red lights was good, 100 would be better...who knows if it will deter anything...

9. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I can see where that makes sense. It has been a while since I read the NG material but I believe the theory behind the red light is to resemble a predator already in the area. There fore deterring another. You are to place the lights at eye level for your particular predator. In my case they are at skunk/raccoon/ fox level. I think it gives you measurements as to where to place them based on your particular predator. Maybe if you placed your light string lower?

10. Enjaytoo

Sep 8, 2009
    Tempe
    Quote:Thats a good idea, I keep "forgetting" that it DID trample my potted plants around the sides of the pens..Or maybe not, I just realized (my brain isnt working full power yet this week [​IMG] ) that my dogs could have trampled the plants, trying to get at the creature on top...hmmm. The pens are inside our 6 foot block wall fence, I assumed the (coyoye or bobcat or coon) scaled the fence then ran around the outside of the pens but I guess it could have gone right on the roof and the dogs trampled the plants. Oh heck, I think I'm just going to order another set of the lights and string one near the Top and one near the bottom.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by