Darn it...cocci! And the feed stores JUST closed...

KristaChickenWhisperer

Songster
11 Years
Sep 1, 2008
Lake Stevens, WA
I think one of my new babies has cocci. I found some suspicious looking poo in the brooder. They are on medicated feed, and their water is mixed with vitamins and electrolytes. So I am kinda confused to as how one of them may have contracted it.

Anyway the feed stores just closed so I have no way to get any corid tonight! Will the babies be ok? Is there anything else I can do?

I am so frustrated! I have had rotten luck with chicks this year. The first batch I got had respiratory problems.
he.gif
and the second batch arrived 2 days late from the hatchery and were so weak they didn't make it.
he.gif

Last edited:
I'm so sorry. I am not aware of any other treament. If they're on medicated feed, I would think that the chick will make it until tomorrow. But I am no expert. Maybe someone else would know? Hang in there!
hugs.gif

Thank you!! Hopefully someone will know. I am hoping the medicated feed will hold the disease off until tomorrow morning.

So far none of them have any other symptoms other than what looks like blood in the poo.

They should be okay till tomorrow. Meanwhile, if you have some non-fat dry milk, add some into their crumble or give plain yogurt or buttermilk--those help soothe the intestines.

Chicks can certainly contract cocci while on medicated feed. The levels in starter are quite low. If it's just one pinkish poop, could be shedding intestinal lining and not necessarily cocci.

I put apple cider vinegar in my chicks, now adolescents water and never had them on antibiotics. I've had no trace of cocci or worms. You don't need a lot, a splash/gallon.

Like Speckled Hen said, is the poo a little pink like intestinal shedding, or is if full-on bloody poo? I'm hoping it was just a little pink, and you can get to the store in the morning. Krista, I'm so sorry you are having such a difficult time raising chicks this time around. Next spring, your luck has to change and you'll get ALL PULLETS!!!!!! Or we'll have to drive to a breeder together so our chicks don't have any shipping stress.
big_smile.png

Quote:
It did look a little like intestinal lining so I am keeping an eye on it. Either way the yogurt will be good for them!! As soon as my brother gets home from work I am going to the store for the yogurt (I don't wanna go alone hehehe)

Next spring I want to find a naked neck breeder and a Jersey giant breeder!! And whatever we find we can swap breeder info!!
big_smile.png

I just had a similar cocci scare. Two of my 3-week-old chicks became really lethargic, stopped eating, didn't really want to drink, began passing fecal matter that looked like intestinal lining, then began passing matter tinged with blood. By the time I figured out it was cocci, it was Saturday night and the feed stores recommended to me were closed on Sunday. I gave all the chicks yogurt with active cultures to eat and raw apple cider vinegar in their water (1 tablespoon per 1/2 gallon in my case). By Sunday morning, the chicks were still passing watery fecal matter, but it was no longer tinged with blood, they were eating, and were much more active. I ended up finding an open feed store around 2 on Sunday and started them on Corid by 4. Now you'd never know they were ever sick at all!

Keep an eye on them, but I think they'll probably make it through the night at least.

Last edited:
Krista, you're not allowed to lose any more chicks. AND it may not be cocci...just a weird poo. When I got my chicks (same feed store) I had a few "suspect" poos. Just like I ignore any possible roo behavior in my 8 weekers, I chose to ignore the pink poo for the night...and they were fine by morning.

I want welsummers, BLRW, and buttercups the next time around...so we probably won't find the same breeders. And I actually haven't heard of many breeders in WA anyway...one near Rainier. But I'll keep my ear's out for you!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom