1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Darn it!! Feathers pulled out, blood feathers?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by remuda1, Jul 1, 2011.

1. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    Dadgummit, this wasn't like this this morning. If you look toward the tail to the left, you can see blood feathers. Can I get the others to quit picking if I color them black? Poor thing, she's the only one like this in the brooder. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

[​IMG]

Kristi

ETA that I should have said "to the right" rather than to the left.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  2. Zowie

Zowie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    I had two chickens this week that were pecked in the same spot. Both of them were of the same breed. Neither one of them survived left in the morning and they were fine, came home from work and they were dead.

3. Zowie

Zowie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    We finally figured out that it was the one of the two golden laced wyandottes that pecked my two ameraucanas.

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Kinda hard to get anything that was commercially made for this kinda thing at this hour, but if you have any Noxema face cream, or a cheap generic brand, smear some on her tonight. Tasts awful. Tomorrow, stop at a pet store and get some anti peck spray in the bird section. That will do it. Only other thing you can do is pen her seperate from the others until you get the anti peck stuff..........Pop

5. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    Thanks y'all. I pulled her out and THEN noticed one of the GOLDEN laced wyandottes in the same condition (ACK!!!). Put them both in a separate brooder along with two others for company. I think it's the leghorn chicks picking on them. I'll have the grow out pen in the run completed tomorrow and will try them back with the rest then (WITH copious amounts of noxema or Vicks vaporub!!)

Thanks again and have a great holiday weekend. God bless the USA and all of our troops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by