Darn it! Got 25lbs of the wrong chick food!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mrsbos, Sep 16, 2010.

1. mrsbos

mrsbos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Greenacres, WA
    I went to a different feed store the other day which was closer to my house to buy some food for my three 5 wk old chicks. The crumbles I had raised them on previously, were supposedly good until they were laying. I just told the guy at the feed store that I needed chick food and he said they had it in 25 lb bags. I figured that was fine because I could use it for several more months (though I had always bought smaller bags before at the other store) . Unfortunately, because my chicks were hungry, I took the bag home and immediately opened it up. First, I realized it was powdery instead of the crumbles. After feeding some to the chicks, I read on the bag that it was chick "starter" which was only good for chicks up to 6 wks! I guess before, I must have been buying the combination chick starter/grower. Darn it! Now I'm going to have to see if I can locate anyone who needs 20 lbs of chick "starter" because I'm going to have to buy another kind of food after next week![​IMG]

2. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    I would just buy the grower crumbles and mix the two if you are nervous about it. I think chick food should be still good for older chicks. In fact mine are really quite big and I am still buying chick starter as I have not found the grower food.

3. shesaredroan

shesaredroan Chillin' With My Peeps

Your girls will be fine!! Look at the protein % on the label stitched at the bottom of the bag. Just mix this new feed with your usual feed. It will all even out, no wasted food purchased!!! You'd be surprised at ALL the different things chickens eat!!! (snake, mice, broken eggs, cooked chicken.......protein!!!!)
    When my girls start laying I begin mixing lay feed (I use lay pellets, less waste) in with the the start/grow crumble that they are used to eating. It helps the girls make the transition to the new feed/new feed shape.
    I also provide oyster shell and scratch grain. My girls free range in the evenings so this time of year grasshoppers and other bugs add protein to their diet.
    Bread is a REAL treat for them........they go silly over it. My kitchen scrapes all go to the girls rather than the compost pile......then the girl's poop goes to the compost pile.
    Circle of life. [​IMG]

4. mrsbos

mrsbos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Greenacres, WA
    Thanks for the ideas! The chicks have done a great job finding bugs in the yard, but those will be harder to come by as the colder weather sets in (real soon here in Eastern WA state). I've also spent way too much money on live meal worms because they just love them so much and I love feeding them by hand. I'll definitely buy some grower food and just mix it in with the starter.

5. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    I was reading the posts about live meal worms... sound pretty easy to grow yourself and nigh on impossible to kill off the population once they start breeding. I think I'll get some from the bait shop and make sure the container's escape-proof. We have a really cold winter here and my free ranging chickens won't have access to the natural yummies for 4-5 months.

6. shesaredroan

shesaredroan Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been seeing some posts about sprouting seeds for one's girls. Wheat, oats, barley and BOSS soaked in water and drained til they reach the desired maturity for feeding.
    Seems like an easy supplement I'd like to try this winter when all the plants and bugs are asleep.
    Meal worms ........hummmmmmmm that sounds interesting too!!

7. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    They can still get chick starter. Don't worry. Feed them the remainder of the bag you purchased and then get another bag of the other food.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:That is what I'd do... Starter or starter/grower till the point of lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by