Darn it.. I think Little Gracie is a Roo...*PIC HEAVY*

ladybug99

Songster
9 Years
Aug 10, 2010
Monroe New Jersey
Well my adventures in hatching chicken eggs this year was a great big flop....only hatched out two and had to cull one... and now I am pretty sure my Little Gracie is a roo.....seems everything I was told about Welsummers has gone totally opposite.. I was told the Roos are wonderful and great with people.....I have a beautiful rooster who is really really MEAN
I was told .. then hens Rarely go broody... I had 3 out of 11 hens go broody this spring....I was also told that they are the easiest chicken to sex.... the roosters always have less coloring and pattern.. well when Gracie hatched she had a beautiful dark markings and a perfect dark brown diamond point on her head, nice little feet, feathered out early... ITS A GIRL we all said.. named her Gracie and on went life....she intergrated so well with the big girls a few weeks ago.. but yesterday I was looking at her.... she is 8 weeks old and almost the same size as my hens... She has a sizable comb, and the beginning of waddles but still pink....I saw her do the cutest little thing yesterday.. she found a worm and got all excited and chirpped out just like the big rooster does when he finds food.... oh and then I saw it....THE GREEN TAIL FEATHER... ohhhhhh nooooo!!!

Now my BF swears she is a she... what do you guys think??? So now the question is what to do if she is a roo???Regardless if its a he or a she.. she is staying with the flock can we stay with the big girls and the other roo.. there are 11 hens and one roo in that pen??? If not would it be better to intergrate it in with my new set of chicks ( yes horray for CHICKEN MATH
smile.png
).. I have 23 hens and 2 roos in that batch that are just over a week old.. they will be in a seprate pen when they go out side.... I would love to hear your opinions.....

Here's her/ his picture....
scratchin around with DAD
65207_dsc04185.jpg

A front shot.. she was hard to catch this morning!!
65207_dsc04183.jpg

65207_dsc04182.jpg

Top shot of her comb...
65207_dsc04180.jpg

I appreciate your help
smile.png

I'd say cockerel. As far as keeping him with the flock. Time will be your guide. You will only know as he grows with the flock. Everybody says only one roo to 10 girls but you never know their crazy chickens . I'd personally try it.

LOL my BF still insists its a girl.....but no one here thinks sooooo.. I guess when she crows in a few months we will really know
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom