Darn it!! My Brinsea got down to 98.2F this morning when I woke up!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kelly G, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

*SIGH* Last night when I went to bed....everything was fine...99.5F.

But the temps in the house dropped, so I guess it affected the temp in the 'bator. Today is the start of day 2 - I hope I haven't ruined things already!!!!!!!!!!

2. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Don't worry, eggs are very forgiving in the first week when temperature drops are of concern. They should be fine. The temp dropping to 98.2 is not that bad at all, it's when you find that it has dropped even lower than that and it ran that way for an unknown amount of time that can effect the developing embryo's. I often find that my incubators will drop during the night hours even though I have them in a temp controlled room, the eggs may take an extra day to hatch but they are usually fine. I have had eggs in lockdown and the power has gone out and temps in the 'bators dropped into the 70's and 80's and those babies hatched out like nothing ever happened.

Good luck! [​IMG]

3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I thought they had thermostats that regulated the temp really effectively? What model of Brinsea is it? I'm thinking of getting one and paying close attention to different folks' experiences with them. And to set your mind at rest, 1 degree of a drop for less than 12 hrs really shouldn't have too bad an effect on your eggs. If anything, it'll just slow them down a bit. Too hot is much worse than too cold. I'm sure they'll be fine if they're back up to the right temp now.

4. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    You will probably be OK, try to keep the temp in the house the same day & night, mine does a little varying also, no bator is perfect, dont give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

Thanks, guys....that makes me feel a lot better.

Temps are back to 99.5, and are now steady.

Quote:Gypsy....Brinseas are GREAT, but everything has its limits. Our temps in the home were about 70F (21 celcius)......but it was 58F in the house (16 celcius) when I got up this mornign. We didn't expect the temps to dip down as much as they did, or I would have made accomodations for it.

This is my very first hatch, so I'm SUPER nervous!

6. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    98 will be OK - they can cool off a bit with out issues. It just slows them down a bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by