Darn Opposable Thumbs of Raccoons

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by darkmatter, Jul 2, 2010.

1. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Been over 15 years with these "egg doors" to access the nest boxes without any problems. Looks like I'll be making better latches today. Darn Raccoons found a use for opposable thumbs. Well, I baited the trap with the remains to see what I can catch tonight for a dirtnap tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

2. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Great presentation. I hope you get them.

3. darkmatter

Jul 10, 2009
    This Morning Update: Trap was turned over, tripped and dragged a few feet, bait was mostly still inside with what could be pulled through the mesh was. The new latch reinforcements worked, no entry to the last two broody's on the nest boxes. One of the chicken run support posts had some disturbance at the top of the wire. (a stuffed toy tiger head was removed and on the ground). I suspect either the trap was fondled and tripped before attempted entry, or the Coon was just too big to enter in the first place. The pawprints left on the nest door yesterday in smeared egg/chicken juices was fairly large. A walk around the run yesterday found the remains of a broody's wing---that Coon was strong enough to pull a full grown hen out of the four X four inch egg door, carry her off, consume her and two dozen eggs/embryos and chicks. I may have a family of predators seeking midnight meals on my expense. I'll update this thread as the situation continues. ( I was so hoping to dirtnap a Coon this morning)

4. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Stay on offence youll get em good luck to you!!

5. darkmatter

Jul 10, 2009
    And the Saga continues: This morning, expecting the Masked Bandit to have tripped up, I found his accomplice instead.

[​IMG]

6. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:LOL Get that scoundrel, Ricky. Let this innocent go.

7. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

That's crazy, good luck

8. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    I'm really surprized you caught him in a box trap, usually fox are to smart to enter one. Great job though. I'm having a predator problem myself. Caught 3 coon and one opossum this week. I been using sardines, marshmellows, and cantalope for bait. Will

9. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Darkmatter, your posted pictures inspired me to look over my coop yesterday. I was shocked to see little tiny hand prints all over my doors. It was so subtle I almost missed it. I would have missed it if I hadn't been looking for it. I nearly had a heart attack until I realized that some raccoons have been testing my coop, but haven't been able to get in. I have a new coop built, but haven't gotten a chance to get the old timers into it, yet. As soon as I get back from vacation my flocks are being integrated. My old coop is not as strong as it once was, and in light of my newest discovery I realize I need to get the old girls into the newly built, tough-as-nails coop ASAP.

Thanks for reminding us to always be on the look out. Predators are always testing us whether we know it or not.

10. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Good job darkmatter stay on them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by