Darn raccoons!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bakerjw, May 27, 2010.

1. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    They haven't gotten to my chickens because the girls get locked up in their coop every night but they have become annoying. Two nights ago I was awoken at 1:48AM by the sound of a couple of light thumps on the tin roof over our addition. A minute or two later there was another thump. I am very wary about people sneaking around our lot so I sleep light and check on most sounds that I hear. The sounds continued and before long I was slipping out the side door with my .22 rifle. I suspected that it was a opossum or raccoon otherwise I'd have taken some larger hardware. When I get out to the corner of the house where I had heard the noise I thought that I had seen a raccoon running off by the neighbors. I realized that the sound was mulberries falling onto the roof. The noises ended and after another hour or so I was able to get back to sleep.

Last night the same thing happened at 11:30PM. This time I was more cautious and when I got to the tree with pellet gun in hand I noticed a branch swaying back and forth. With no flashlight I wasn't able to spot the culprit but the branch stopped swaying and I figured that whatever it was had slipped to another tree and was gone. About 3:00AM another visitor decided to feast on the mulberries. This time I had my pellet gun and flashlight. It took seconds to spot the raccoon and the little bugger got stung by a BB. It was only a couple of pumps and I'll give it credit for not making a peep. But it figured that enough was enough and it opted to leave the tree at 32ft/s^2 which made a sound similar to that of a bag of wet cement hitting the ground.

So I am very very tired at work once again but at least have the satisfaction of knowing that there is a raccoon out there in the world nursing a welt.

Sorry that this didn't involve a chicken attack. Just a stung coon.

2. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Good job. But you had better kill it before it dicovers your chickens and make sure your coop is Fort McChicken Style. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by