1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

darn temperature spikes!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mom 2em All, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Songster

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I am on Day 15 in one incubator, and on Day 8 and Day 4 (Franks Seramas)...and it is hot outside today. I came home to Incubator Day 15 with temps of 103.8 and the other one reading 104.0 - these are the readings at the middle of the egg!.

It is 89 degrees inside my house- I wanna scream.

I am so frustrated, serama are hard enough to hatch without me trying to cook them too. I will candle them tonight, or maybe tomorrow. I dunno. It may just frustrate me more if I do.

2. steelshot

steelshot Songster

Jul 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    WHAT KINDA INCUBATOR ARE YOU USING?

3. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Songster

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Little Giant Still Air- with an automatic turner in one, and one without.

4. steelshot

steelshot Songster

Jul 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    THE REASON FOR ASKING WAS WONDERING IF IT WAS A CABINET OR TABLE TOP KIND. I HAD A FRIEND WHO KEPT HIS INCUBATOR IN HIS GARAGE AND IT WAS ALWAYS SPIKING. I TOLD HIM TO TRY PUTTING A FROZEN DRINK BOTTLE IN HIS BATOR DURING THE HOT PART OF THE DAY. YOUR INBUBATOR IS SMALLER THAN HIS. YOU COULD TRY A SMALL ICE PACK OR SMALL FROZEN ZIPLOCK BAG OF WATER. JUST DON'T LET IT COME IN CONTACT WITH EGGS . [​IMG]

5. ginbart

ginbart Crowing

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I woundn't worry too much. I had a temp of 110 for 8 hours and still got 18 out of 40. So I didn't cook them all. LOL

Good Luck. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess 10 Years

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I have the same incubator as you and awoke to a huge temerature spike just two days ago. Day 14 of my hatch of a dozen silver marans and my temp reading was 110 at floor level in the incubator and 108 at the top of the eggs! I was horrified! [​IMG] I have no clue at this point what will become of the hatch and am now seeking a new incubator to replace this on as I do not find it reliable enough to attemp hatches of such expensive eggs. I don't know what brand is the best as I have read some pretty scarry stuff about a couple of other types of incubators and wish I knew better what was the best choice in a small unit for a dependable hatch. Best luck to you with your hatches and I am keeping my fingers crossed that mine turns out ok as well [​IMG]

7. CountryMom

CountryMom Songster

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    When we first started our egg experience here, we borrowed an incubator from a friend. Well, we spiked several times and were even at 110. The kids and I ran out and purchased a new still air Havobator (the other was same with fan) and have had steady temps since. Last night we hatched out 6 of 10 eggs and waiting on more today as we are only on day 21. All that and we did pretty good I figure. I am sure if we did it the old fashion way, a hen sitting here with our 100 plus temps would spike up and down also.

Good Luck!

8. penelope77

penelope77 Songster

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    i had a whole day of temp spikes ranging from 105-110 and i didn't kill the ones that were alive, yet. i also had a major chill down one night when the temps dropped outside and the bator read 88 when i got up. still though that's scary. i was sure i cooked them all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: