darn thermastats! dont know which one to believe!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by skylarms, Feb 11, 2013.

1. skylarms

skylarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Buckley, WA
    I need a bit of advice. I just started my first batch of eggs. I have a profarm 4200 by farm innovation. I bought it knowing it wasn't the best, but its the best I could find around here in my budget. I knew right off the bat to not go by the thermometer on top. So inside I put the mercury thermometer. Then, from the advice of many, bought a digital humidity/temp gauge. It is an Accurite. My temp will stay steady for hours, then the digital temp will spike up to 104. I then reset it it and repeat. The mercury thermometer doesn't read that high, but the one on the top will go up. I'm tired and frustrated and its day two. I have great BCM and blue Wheaton marans in there and really don't want to cook them!

2. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

I would trust the Accurite, but you could always test it. Fill an insulated container (travel mug, thermos) with ice, add water. Let that sit for five minutes, then put the Accurite in it. When it is finished reading, it should be at 32 degrees.

3. Adam7

Adam7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    Your mercury thermometer is most likely more accurate though it does not register the swings like the digital would. It takes longer to heat up and cool down. I would calibrate like the previous person said. Take a cup full with crushed ice, ad just a touch of water(very little) then stir. Insert thermometer, should read 32F. I have 3 accurite thermometers and all read a bit different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by