1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dart Frogs!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by tonini3059, Feb 23, 2009.

1. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    Does anyone else have dart frogs? If so how do you get the fruit flies in the dust cup without getting them everywhere? No matter how hard I try I get more flies on the counter than in the dust cup. And after 2 yrs I'm tired of flies everywhere luckily they are the flightless kind so they are easy to kill.

2. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

you mean dusting them with vitamin dust?
    I use a plastic bag with just enough dust in it then put the flies or crickets or w/e in it, lightly shake it, then pour them into the frog tanks

3. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:ditto....i do the same...

I have large ziploc type bags the extra large freezer ones...i out my flies/pinhead crickets in that seal the top and then open the container of the "feed" i manipulate the top through the plastic bag...(i hope i am making sense)

I reuse the same bag over again...also i found that the pinhead crickets were much easier to work with

4. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:ditto....i do the same...

I have large ziploc type bags the extra large freezer ones...i out my flies/pinhead crickets in that seal the top and then open the container of the "feed" i manipulate the top through the plastic bag...(i hope i am making sense)

I reuse the same bag over again...also i found that the pinhead crickets were much easier to work with

I agree that pinhead crickets are way easier. I was using the flies with some of my baby praying mantises but WHAT A PAIN IN THE BUTT so i started using pinheads, though they're only sold a half hour away from me, but wow are they easier

5. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    the reptile shop that i go to for my full size crickets for my bearded dragons..he will "special order" the pinheads for me at no extra cost...all i have to remember is to call him the day b4 he places his order and he will add them for me but if i need them mid week and outside the normal delivery date then he will charge me the special order fee...

I find the pinheads are hard to keep alive so my dart frogs and my mantella frogs will take up to 1/4" crickets which i find are easier to keep alive

6. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    chill the flies, crickets not to kill them, but to make them easier to handle... (i feed my chameleon this way also) when they "wake up" the frogs get to chase and wait making it more natural for them.

7. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    can raise pinheads very easily using an extra terrarium and some dirt... also use paper towel rolls for obstacles and feed the crickets apple slices and stuff... they will lay eggs in a few days to a week and then the eggs hatch not to long afterwards and you get to pick the size of crickets you are using without having to "special order" them.

8. tonini3059

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    Thanks I will try the bag idea!

9. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    I thought the title said "Fart Dogs" at first. Sorry, I know I'm inappropriate [​IMG]

I loved watching my frogs eat the fruit flies but I hated feeding them. The crickets were way easier.

10. tonini3059

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    Lol!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by