D'Artagnan's a bully

stargazingmommy

Songster
9 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Spokane
So, the saga of D'Artagnan the evil duckie continues...
We know he has reached sexual maturity, and with that has become territorial.
He's attacked a chicken, a cat, a dog, a crow, and his latest victim...me.
I go in their pen for the daily chores, he attacks my ankles and will grab m pants legs and tries to drag me out of the pen.

Will this last forever?
Until this started he was a chicken, well, afraid of me.

I wish I could tell you that it will stop but it probably won't. I usually get rid of (eat) aggressive males but now I'm stuck with one that's very aggressive toward other males. I only keep him because he's a good daddy.

Quote:
I just have the 2 ducks, a peking female, and the runner male.
As long as they(HE) stays in the pen it's not an issue really, at least not for me.
I did bop him on the head yesterday as I kept almost tripping when he was pulling on my pants. When he does get a hand, it's not real hard fortunately.
I'm inclined to keep him around for now at least, because they are pets...but if it gets a lot worse, he will go to a new home most likely

When he goes for your ankles- pick him up and tuck him under one arm. Watch his head - turn him around if he tries to bite your face. Carry him around for a few minutes while you do the chores - if you can do that one handed. He needs be be taught that you are the dominant " duck" in the pen. I have a huge Aylesbury drake that does the same. Every spring we need to retrain him so that he stopps attacking out ankles. I carry him or turn him over on his back. He is so large that it takes him 30 seconds or so to get up- in which time I am well away from him. It is teaching him that if he bites- he will be punished. Turning him on his back will not hurt him if done correctly - I have to be careful of his wings. Also if he cant right himself in a short time- I will flip him the right way so that he isnt left on his back too long. Usually a week is enough to get him behaving again.

That's good advice. I have a runner who is also becoming aggressive now that he is getting a bit older. He is territorial with the dog, my pant legs, and our top hen. Luckily the dog is forgiving. I do just what you said. I simply pick him up while I am walking and by the time I set him down, he's pretty much over it. However, I am not sure what to do about the hen yet.

D'Artagnan, the lover...... maybe you should have named him Attila......
lau.gif
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Last edited:
Quote:
LOL
originally he was Seuss. The Pekin is Doctor...so we had Doctor Seuss ducks....

thanks for the ideas, I'll try giving him "rides" while I do chores.
This morning he was so busy trying to attack me through the fence he was ignoring veggie treats. So doctor got them all

His behavior will continue unless you convince him that you are BOSS. As a matter of fact, it will probably escalate. If the 'carrying' does not work, when he attacks grab him by the neck/head place your other hand on his back and force his body and head to the ground. Hold him subdued until he stops struggling and then another minute. If when you release him he comes at you, repeat the process. Remember it's either him or you.

Quote:
x2. I did this with my baby boys and they don't mess with me now! It only took a couple time per duckling before they got it. They will still eat from my hand but are very respectful with their bills now. Smacking, pushing, bopping all seem to make it worse. It just challenges them to one-up you.

Back
Top Bottom