darvocet and advil?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by NellaBean, Aug 10, 2010.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Had some dental work today and now i"m in agony....took 3 advil at 5:30.....no dent in the pain at all. took a darvocet at 7:30, seemed to help a bit but is now very obviously wearing off. Can I take advil again? It's only been 3 hours since I took the darvocet.....can I take 3 or 4 advil? I know I cant take tylenol with the darvocet.....what about advil?

I think I strained my jaw or something while getting a filling today.....horrible horrible pain. Will call the dentist in the morning but just trying to make it through the night [​IMG]

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I think you can take the ibuprofen. The prescription dosage is 800 mg. My hubby actually got a prescription for the ibuprofen and lorcet, plus an antibiotic, when he had his wisdom teeth removed.

When I had mine removed, no pain killers worked. Anything stronger than tylenol or ibuprofen made me sick... sicker than I have ever been in a my life. It's not fun to vomit when your mouth hurts so bad. If it continues to hurt tomorrow, call the doctor or dentist. I actually had a bad case of dry socket in mine, which the dentist described as worse than labor pains.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  3. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    I wouldn't take advil again. Might try naproxen sodium which is Aleve over the counter. It says one capsule but you can safely take 880-1,000 mgs a dose off label. The prescription forms are much stronger, the over the counter is alot weaker.

Probably better for you have something stronger like a couple of oxycontin or something till the pain subsides and you can move to something weaker. Mouth pain is no fun.

4. pookiegoldman

pookiegoldman Songster

Aug 3, 2010
    Grand Isle, Louisiana
    The Darvocet contains tylenol, Yes you should be able to take up to the max (800mg) of Advil now safely.

5. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Do the Aleve...SO much better than Advil.

Darvocet will clog you up later on....beware!

6. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I don't have any aleve here [​IMG]

I just took 3 advil. Hopefully that will hold me over a bit.....if I am still awake in 3 hours, I will take another darvocet.

I work with someone who is on all sorts of drugs (LOL) so if all else fails i can bum a hydro or percocet off her after 9am.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  7. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Yes, any prescription pain pill will. Not fun.

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    You should be able to call your local hospital and ask a nurse. [​IMG]

9. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:Or one of those 24 hour pharmacies, like Walgreens and ask the pharmacist.

10. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Both Advil and Aleve are in the same drug class- NSAID, or Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs. Darvocet is a combination of acetaminophen and propoxyphene. Acetaminophen, of course, most commonly known as Tylenol, and propoxyphene, which is a narcotic. Since Darvocet does not contain acetaminophen, you can alternate the two, but DO NOT take them at the same time. Be sure follow the directions on the Darvocet and do not to exceed 1 gram of Acetaminophen in 24 hours.

Oh, and good luck with the dental pain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by