Dating eggs

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by LesGan, Jun 16, 2008.

1. LesGan

LesGan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Columbiana, Alabama
    We have several folks who check for eggs during the day and gather them to place in a community frig. We have been writing the date on the egg with a pencil. Is there a problem with that and also when we fix boiled aggs. Is there a better way to keep tracks of the dates and/or to mark them? Thanks

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    This may not help you but this is what I do:

I keep two 18 count egg crates in my inside frig. I fill up the front one first as I collect eggs. Then I fill up the back one. We use from the front one first and every couple of days I move all the eggs forward so that new eggs are placed in back.

If I have two many eggs for those two cartons I keep another 18 count one in the garage fridge and put the very freshest eggs out there. Does all that make sense?

For boiled eggs I would put a dozen or 18 in a separate carton and put it to the back of the frig for a week before boiling. Mark the carton for boiled eggs so nobody uses them for anything else.

3. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    I use a pencil to mark the date they were laid, too. I also have a system in the fridge for organized oldest to newest. Everyone knows to pull from the left side first. Both systems combined ensure that the oldest ones go out first. I imagine everyone has their own unique system. [​IMG]

4. Ga Chicken Mom

Ga Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2007
    We date our eggs with a pencil also. Never had a problem with it. We just explain to the folks we give eggs to that our hens have wheels on their tummies that we turn every day to change the date on the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by