daughter dropped something on her fav chick now legs not moving

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bethinoklahoma, May 1, 2009.

1. bethinoklahoma

bethinoklahoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    JONES, OK
    [​IMG]
    My daughter dropped part of the water feeder on her 5 wk old fav polish chick. She said it hit him near his "bottom" and now he dosnt seem to be moving. He is breathing and his eyes seem open and alert. He is back in a small brooder under a heat light...
    Do you guys think he will recover ? Any ideas thoughts or story's will help while we wait...
    thanks

2. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    I dunno sorry I cannot help... [​IMG] GoodLuck [​IMG]

3. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    I'd give it several hours before you start to worry too much, he/she may just be stunned. Also I know from experiance, if a chick is in pain, you'll know, they cheep constantly, and it's different than a normal cheep.

Good Luck.

4. bethinoklahoma

Dec 18, 2008
    JONES, OK
    Thanks that helps.
    After we saw your post we went back up to listen for cheeps... Nothing but chick is still alive, breathing, alert but trying to sleep....

5. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    Last year when we got our baby chicks my son was taking rotton logs into the run. He would split the logs and the chicks would quickly eat all the termites inside. He had a wedge in the log and it rolled over and landed on one of the chicks.(really heavy) It screamed and ran over and sat down, it didn't walk at all that day and I was sure it wouldn't make it through the night. I almost thought I should cull it to be humane. The next morning it was running around with the rest of them. For quite a while everytime my son came in the run the chick would go into the coop and sit down!![​IMG] I'm sure your DD's chick will be just fine. Keep us up to date.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  6. bethinoklahoma

Dec 18, 2008
    JONES, OK
    [​IMG]
    We are keeping fingers crossed

7. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    He may be in shock. I'd wait a day and see how it's doing

8. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

These things can happen...I'm sorry about the chick.

9. noisycottage

noisycottage Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2009
    I hope he gets better really soon. The previous posts (above mine) sound really hopeful.
    When we had our farm, the chicks sometimes fell or had things fall on them when they were getting a little crazy and they recovered. In fact, we only lost one when it was a baby and that was because my daughter gave it a tight squeeze of love (she was 4) and returned it (slightly dazed) back under the heat lamp. It was dead the next day. [​IMG]
    I have my fingers crossed for you!! They are surprisingly resilient most of the time.

10. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    How's he doing today? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by