Daughter flogged......ROOSTER DEAD !!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wychickenwrangler, Aug 2, 2011.

1. wychickenwrangler

wychickenwrangler Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Northeast Wyoming
    In the last couple of weeks, I noticed that one of our orpington roosters was becoming more aggressive. Last night while checking their food & water, he came after me. I booted him across the yard & figured that he had learned his lesson. This morning while riding her bicycle, my daughter was attacked. Thank god she wasn't injured. I CAN tell you for a fact that he has learned his lesson this time, compliments of a 22 caliber rifle. My daughter was more than happy to help pluck & clean him. Although I'm mew to the chicken thing, I never thought that the buff orpington would be an aggressive breed.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    That's what scares me about roosters. They can change overnight. I know they're all not bad though....Glad your daughter is OK! I always worry about the little ones.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Kids and their safety come first. [​IMG]

4. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Glad your daughter is ok. Bet he tasted real good.
    Even though you picked a mellow breed, sometimes you can get that 1 black sheep that makes you hafta scratch your head. Roosters are pure hormone driven; especially during the age when they go through their change.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Where are you folks getting your roosters? I have kept game roosters all my life and recently began keeping a good number of dominique roosters. Have yet to see this aggression business.

6. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I was wondering that too...In 20+ yrs of chickens I only had one agressive roo, and he came from someone else already mean. I am wondering if its hatcheries not breeding for good temperment, or what?

7. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    [​IMG] That's my solution too! I won't keep an agressive roo around. [​IMG]

I've heard that roos only attack when they see the human like another roo threatening their dominant position. Maybe game roos know they have no competition. My DH gets it from roos more often than I do but I think that's just because a couple of the hens had a huge crush on him. [​IMG]

8. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Buff Orpingtons are usually a very laid back breed. The meanest rooster I've ever personally experienced though was a Buff. I didn't raise him however.

I don't put up with aggressive birds since I have young children. In fact the one and only cock bird that flogged my daughter was dispatched on the spot. I think the hens tell all the new boys about this because it's been some years since I had a rooster even look sideways at one of my girls.

9. LottieDa

LottieDa Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    Boise, ID
    You totally did the right thing. And YUM! I know a lot of people say hens are happier with a rooster around but I won't have one for this exact reason. We have a happy home now and don't need any trouble makers. [​IMG]

10. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    A good two-thirds of my adult birds are roosters. Something is making it so those kept my some folks are meaner than typical.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by