daughter is in the hospital- Guillian barre syndrome what should I

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by freshegg, Nov 26, 2008.

1. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    what should I expect has anyone had this? n it started with feet going numb then traveled up her legs.

2. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Guillian barre Syndrome/ what is this?...
    My cousin when she was in her 20's had the flu shot...because she was a chef and she had the same symptons....by the time she got home and went downstairs to her apartment in her parents house she couldn't get back up the stairs..started in her feet and travelled up to her head and back down .She spent at least 6 months in a nursing home in a whell chair until she could come home and another 6 months off work until she was able to walk and move properly...she's fine now..but angry at our government for being a "guinea pig"....she had alot of tests done to see why this happened....needless to say our families do not get the flu shot...
    Sorry for rambling ....I hope your daughter gets better...

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  3. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

saying prayers for you and your daughter and for a great recovery... [​IMG]

4. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    freshegg, I didn't know what the disease entailed, so I checked wikipedia's article about it. I am sending your daughter, you and your family many prayers.

5. freshegg

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    thank you everybody. She is 22 and I know we caught it early 5 days into it. I was looking online but it seems they only give the worst case scenerios, or I'm in denial. The recovery range is 3 months to 3 years. She didnt have a flu shot but docs just offered her one which she declined thank god. I read that it peaks to its worse at 3 weeks I am praying she doesnt loose use of her legs. She has a 3yo daughter that needs her. It attacks the immune system and the brain sensors. shes getting a spinal tap today. I cant be there since its a hour away and I have to take care of the baby.

6. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    freshegg, Its were the body's immune system attacks part of the peripheral nervous system. I've worked with patients in ICU with this disease. Its a long hard road but all the individuals that I know came back from it with good medical care and rehab. You have to be patient, ask questions. She might have some problems even after therapy but hopefully since she was young and it was caught in the early stages there will be little residual problems. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

7. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    freshegg, you are doing the best thing you can for her. You are making sure her baby is safe and taken care of. I know that is exactly where I would want my mother to be, were I in her shoes. [​IMG]

8. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    I have known 2 people with this, they both got back to normal, but it took a while. The first part involved pain, but being in the hospital with the right care will be best. The recovery will go along slowly too, but it will go away.

Best wishes for you daughter in this time. Everyone will shift to a new normal for the duration, but normal will come back.

9. freshegg

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    I justed talked to her shes pretty freaked out reading all the info on it that the hospital gave her. I told her if it got that bad we will move her bed downstairs and take care of her and to remember it does get better. she says she has almost no feeling in her feet and the numbness is up to her thigh now. I asked her to ask the dr if it is gonna get bad being that we caught it so quick, so Im waiting by the phone. I told her my chicken friends [​IMG] are praying for her

10. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

OMG! Sending many [​IMG] and prayers your way! I hope your daughter recovers quickly. I have never heard of such a thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by