1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Daughter Wants More Chickens....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by 5Chickens, Jul 15, 2011.

1. 5Chickens

5Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2007
    Okay, so DD, wants more chickens. She wants to build a shed type coop and split it up into breeding pens as she wants to start raising orpingtons. I on the other hand, I am a bit hesitant. I love our two laying hens we have right now, but we live in the suburbs. I just dont want us to get overrun with chickens. She says she will pay for the coop (she has been saving birthday and christmas money for several years now), pay for the chickens, etc.
    I am all for her doing this, but I want to set guidelines. What are some of your opinions on things she needs to do to prove that she would be able to do this project and continue with it? I want her to really be 100% into this and committed.

thanks

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Well first...

What are the city rules on roosters? In order to breed you need a male. Since she seems young (you didn't say how old she is), you may want to consider 4h (some clubs are welcoming, some are utterly cliquish, don't be afraid to shop around). If my 11 year old had offered this plan, i'd say sure, he's old enough to do do 90% of the work, after thee coop is built. If my 7 year old had, i'd offer to let him get 1-2 special show birds, and wait on the breeding program.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by