1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

daughter with athsma

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by chixie, Nov 5, 2009.

1. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    my 12 year old daughter has athsma... she went to the doctor yesterday and now she is not only on an inhaler sha now has to have 2 different types on breathing treatments(1 twice a day ans the other one every four to six hours) she went for a sore throat and vommiting...

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Well the breathing treatments will stop after she starts breathing easier. Does she have the nebulizer? Or is it the breathing treatments through a handheld device? If it's the nebulizer, you'll appreciate that when family members get sick or are having a hard time breathing. I've used mine many times when myself or others are conjested.

Sorry to hear about her asthma. Do they think it's just a symptom from her sore throat...kind of a temporary thing??

3. chixie

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    nebulizer

4. chixie

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    she used to have to take breathing treatments when she was little... every winter she stays sick with colds... she doesnt have strep... but he put her on antibiotics and said it was just a cold ... definately not the flu... she was allowed back to school today... I expect her to have to use it thru out the winter... he gave her several refills on the meds

5. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

A good chiropractor can do miraculous things for people with asthma. And, it won't hurt you at all. Give one a try, call around and ask questions first, but I have seen many good things happen for people with asthma who came for adjustments, and they are actual other kinds of treatments they have now that are just great for so many ailments!!!!

6. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    My 14 yr old DD has Asthma too. Once you get it under control, keeping it under control is the key. We now have only a handful of attacks a year. Usually we can look at the situation later and see what caused the attack (she "forgot" to take her daily Advair dose a day or two, etc.) and make improvements.

I seem to only have trouble with it when I am sick. If I get a cold of almost any type, it will affect my lungs and I'll end up on Nebulizer treatments, a rescue inhaler and sometimes even a round of steroids.

Find out what you can about Asthma, and be proactive. And like others said, your nebulizer is your friend, LOL! "

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    [​IMG]

Proactive is what counts. The coughing and sore throat could well be just the asthma. Many folks don't realize that coughing is often the primary symptom of asthma. Wheezing comes later.

My older son's asthma was nearly always triggered by illnesses: colds, flu, etc. Allergies also. Exercise almost never.

Mine is induced by changes in termperature and humidity and anything that is in the air. Technically I don't have allergies--my body reacts to anything in the air: pollens, dust, smog, etc. The amount, but not the specific is what makes a difference.

8. Hippie Chickie

Hippie Chickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Port Orchard
    My DD also has asthma. She was admitted into the hospital for three days when she was five. She's 11 now and doing much better. Read up on the meds that they give her. My kiddo's was caused by allergies. She was taking singular every day to control the allergies along with an over the counter med, Alavert. The Singulair can cause depression and suicidal tendencies. This was not known at the time that she started the meds. When we took her off of Singulair she went from being a sad moody out of control kid to the sunshine girl she used to be. The depressed periods are still there but not like before. It's night and day. So I guess the point is that you need to read read read about the side effects and make sure that you keep reading to see if anything new comes out. It took about four years before they released the study about depression linked to the med. I had no idea that an asthma med could cause a side effect like that. Also using the nebulizer frequently will cause insomnia and hyperactivity. Just warning you, she'll be grumpy and tired and unable to sleep. I don't know where you are located but be careful when you travel. Muggyness in the air, like in Florida can make asthma worse, so make sure that when you are traveling that you take the nebulizer and inhaler with you. You may not need it, but if you do It's better to have it.

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Today's asthma meds are MUCH better with FAR FEWER side effects than older ones such as thiophyllin (sp?) or slo-bid.

10. chixie

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    we live in southeast texas... she usually doesn't have problems in spring and summer... it is uasually winter... my niece and nephew also have athsma... theirs is far worse than my daughters...they have been hospitalized alot when they were little...
    thanks for all of the advice... it has been helpful

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by