Daughters homeroom list came out in todays paper

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Spookwriter, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    ...and I tried to act surprised.

She got her favorite teacher for homeroom.
    And her best friend is in the same class even.

Who would of thunk it?

Of course, the fact that we're pretty good personal friends
    with the teacher didn't hurt. Or perhaps the fact that the principal
    is pretty close all summer. We grew up together, his parents are
    among Hana's closest adult friends. (they raise chickens also)
    The school secretary...our 4-H leader.

I knew two weeks ago.

Maybe my wife and I might of suggested which teacher we would
    prefer...would that be wrong?

Spook...who denys any knowledge of this.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG] I love all your town stories. I think i'd love to live there... it sounds so nice and friendly... everyone knows everyone..etc... [​IMG]
    My town used to be like that.... its gone to he&& now though.... too many "city" people moved in and ruined it. [​IMG]
    The newer generations are changing, they just dont care....

My family is still close friends with the Fire Chief and his family, most of the EMT's.. and some older police officers, (they always come to our family gatherings ..)... One of my neighbors is my foster sons teacher, (and we love them)..
    But still... this town is changing, and not for the good. [​IMG]
    Every generation i see this small town slipping away to crap and ghettohood...
    the streets that were "bad" when i was a kid..(and they werent even bad then... [​IMG]) are now turning into mini ghettos....
    It truly makes me sick to see...

I wanna go live by spook and play in his corn maze... [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I wanna go live by spook and play in his corn maze

I don't know about that red. Sounds like that corn maze is going to heck. [​IMG]

Congrats spook, on your innocence. [​IMG]

Imp​

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Corn mazes have spiders.....so bring a stick to wave the webs away [​IMG]

It is fantastic that your little Spooklette is excited for the start of school. Getting a favorite teacher is awesome.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I think every parent should have the right to request the teacher they prefer. I'd actually love seeing some sort of form asking about the child's personality and the type of environment she/he thrives in, what teacher characteristics have worked well with the child and which ones haven't. Not all parents want the same teacher or classroom style for their children.

6. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Sonoran, that is exactly the form we have at our school. You cannot request a specific teacher, but you can fill out a form that says what your kid needs and wants. You can also dis-request certain kids or teachers. We find out today....school starts Tuesday. I'm pretty sure who my kid has due to my connections and former employment at the school.

7. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Raised two kids through public school and never requested a teacher. (By the way, I was the school bookkeeper also, so I knew all the teachers.) We just took what came and went to work on getting ourselves in alignment with that teacher, and it always seemed to work. When my children made comments, I always told them that they didn't have to live with the teacher, they just had to listen and learn. I always figured my kids were going to have to learn to take what life handed them and make the best of it, and they have.

I always thought that most of the time people who requested certain teachers were doing it based on the parent grapevine, not on reality. No offense to those of you who have done this, but I always felt that many teachers didn't get a fair shake on that grapevine, because I had seen it in action (was also the PTA president for a while). I saw the gossip mill blackball several teachers, then turn a couple of years later and put them on pedestals. The teacher didn't change, just the gossip.

Don't mean to dis any of you, just expressing a different viewpoint. Peace to all. [​IMG]

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Most of the parents really liked my son's first grade teacher. She was an absolutely horrible fit for him. He literally learned nothing in that class, and on more than one occasion took the opportunity to publicly embarass him. The only thing useful that year were a couple of friendships he made; one is still his best friend; they are now college freshmen.

There is a point to learning to deal with difficult people, but not everyone is able to handle it from a young age.

9. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    Never been able to request teachers since kindergarten. It would probably make the teachers feel bad that someone else gets more requests because she is younger or more experienced than the other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by