Davey duck can't see

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chikky, Apr 24, 2011.

1. chikky

chikky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Glenmont, Ohio
    Last week when I put the ducks in for the evening, I noticed that Davey, my white call drake, was dumpy acting. Upon closer examination, I thought his eyes looked a little crusty. I put him in a carrier with some terramycin overnite. He didn't seem better, so I continued for a few days, read all that I could, and also bought some terramycin for his eyes and applied it. He couldn't see. Bumping into stuff, not leading the pack, not flying, so on.

I found a vet that does birds and took him. They gave him some under the skin hydration and a shot of antibiotics/anti-inflammatory. The next day, he started eating again, a little more perky. So I continued 2 more doses of meds - injections at home.

He appears to feel much better, but he just can't see. I don't get it. His eyes aren't cloudy or anything, just unresponsive. It appears that whatever happened did so quite suddenly. He was fine 10 days ago. I think I'll take him back to the vet tomorrow to have blood drawn to determine the possible cause of his blindness. These guys are so babied - I'd give them blankies and pillows at night if I thought they'd like it. I'm a little concerned that if he has some kind of virus it could possibly be transmitted to the others.

Does anyone out there have any experience with this type of situation? Poor little guy....If he really is not going to get his sight back, I'll have to clip a wing...yesterday he got spooked and flew into the garage - I sure can't risk any more of that.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    As for the reason- I think that is best left for the vet to determine, But I wanted to add that I currenly have a blind duck. She did hatch blind- so has never known any other kind of life. She does well in the yard with the flock- but I do need to carry her inside at night and make sure she is not in the sun on hot days. She can easily make her way to the food and water and has a fairly normal life. Davey may take a while to adjust- but with a little extra care- he can go on living a fairly normal life.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  3. chikky

chikky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Glenmont, Ohio
    Davey has been to the vet...antibiotic injections/hydration.....I wormed them all....His vision lately seemed more like severe "tunnel vision" or something. The ducks were all out free ranging tonight, I went in to eat supper and a coon took him away.

I feel very badly about it. The dogs were inside eating, and I'd just checked on the ducks....

So, Bullet and my boyfriend helped me find Davey under some brush (and the coon up the tree). I buried him on the hill. So sad. I just hope it was fast.

Crap. His ladies are very sad too.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    So sorry to read of your loss.

5. SaraFL

SaraFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL