1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Davidson Co- Nashville TN - I was reported!

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by MAZZUM, Sep 26, 2011.

1. MAZZUM

MAZZUM New Egg

Sep 26, 2011
    I moved to this area three weeks ago. (Donelson, Davidson County, Nashville, TN) I did my research and found conflicting laws on the subject of hen keeping. Neighbors we spoke to before we moved insisted there would be no complaints, even telling us other neighbors kept guineas.

Here is what I found... http://www.nashville.gov/council/docs/analysis/090901.pdf

Today
    I had Code enforcement show up. I don't think it was the neighbor on either side of me. About a half dozen neighbors have come by and introduced themselves, all seemed welcoming and warm.

We have five mature hens. Three of them we have had as pets for three years. Two are two years old. We have a ten by ten dog kennel (we were about to increase it to 10 by 20). As our last residence they were free range on 1/4 an acre. Now we have 1.4 acre of mostly wooded unfenced yard. We have a hen house inside of the kennel that is completely secure and well built and even painted tastefully. The floor of the kennel has straw on it. one corner has a hanging feeder the other a hanging water.

we do not have a Home Owners Association. Most homes are 50+ years old, as are most of the residents.

The Code enforcement said without hesitation there were no options that we had to get rid of our pets. the kids are crying. I want to fight this.

1. What would you do?

2. Is there anyone in the Nashville area who can help me?

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
  3. MAZZUM

MAZZUM New Egg

Sep 26, 2011
    Thank you City Girl! I will peruse that thread as well.

4. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    That is not how I read the law either. I know there are restrictions on how far from a house and such. I would call to find out if a permit is needed.

Now with that said I know there are some areas over there that have their own town with cops and everything Lakewood I think. That area may have different laws. I don't know who you would call maybe the health Dept. My area is agricultural so it does not apply to my area.

I will follow this very interesting. I know I have seen people in madison area selling 20 chickens and roosters and chicks all not allowed. No roos, no breeding and no processing.

GOOD LUCK!

Call your councilman or the guy on the ordinance. You probably need a political person to help.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  5. DMRippy

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Re-read the law. Let me ask you a question... does metro pick up your trash? If not you are in an area where you have to have 5 acres from what I read. What is your area zoned too?

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Heck of a way to "welcome" someone to the neighborhood. I'd be wanting to move again. Miserable busybodies can't even wait until you unpack the boxes, for crying out loud. [​IMG]

Sometimes, the code enforcement folks are wrong about the laws. Do some serious investigation before you give in.

7. MAZZUM

MAZZUM New Egg

Sep 26, 2011
    It's not my nature to give in. Plus we are very attached to our girls.

I don't know exactly which of the two ordinances on the books apply to us and we have the head of Code enforcement for our county looking into this for us. He also happens to be one of our new neighbors. As I understand it that if your hens aren't a nuisance you are ok. It was not the two closest neighbors that reported us, I doubt anyone else can even hear them.
    we were also report because we are having a wheelchair ramp installed on the front of our house and no permit was pulled. We hired someone who is carefully building a temporary structure so no permits are actually needed. A wheelchair ramp and pet chickens! Who ever did it must be a pretty bitter person.

I am ready to fight it if it's worth it. We don't have a lot of money and someone said something about a $50.00/day fine after the citation is issued. UGH.

8. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    That seems like a really vague ruling that contradicts itself. If you sell eggs then your chickens are being used for an agricultural business. In that case you would be allowed to keep the girls. Right!!

9. DMRippy

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    There were two laws and I think they got combined to explain chickens mostly. Good luck! Keep us updated really!

10. DMRippy

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Quote:Here you would be agricultural if you zoned that way not for selling eggs. You would also need more than 5 acres. I have 33 acres in Davidson and it is agricultural, one neighbor even has pigs [​IMG] We don't have most services that metro offers, like trash pickup or sewers. Selling eggs is a state law and requires a permit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by