1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Davis Improved treadle sewing machine manual (smm396)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by PineappleMama, Nov 8, 2010.

1. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, calling out for help here.

Told y'all mom is up in Arkansas helping Pepaw clear the garage/house and have an estate sale yes?

Well she's stumbled across this machine and is trying to figure what the devil to sell it for. She's hunted the internet for a good hour before calling me. I can find a manual for the booger, but that's it... NO other info... no one's sold one... nothing.

She says the very first one on the following page is identical to the one up there...

http://pages.sewing-machine-manuals.com/173/InventoryPage/1834179/1.html

So that gave her the model number, full name, etc. Know about the company, what years they were made, etc. But no info at all on pricing so, if anyone has any hints in how to hunt up this info PLEASE share!! Thanks!

Edit... shoot, I meant to cut out the word manual from the title... sorry about that.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Apparently there were a lot of odd machines made. I have an "Improved New Wilson" treadle on a Mason Mfg iron stand and can't find much on it, much less a manual.

Does it work? Is it in good shape and how is the paint?

3. PineappleMama

She said she's tested it out and everything works... still has the needle in it... didn't mention paint, but I can ask her.

You just never know what you'll find in Memaw's house. I'd told MIL about it for YEARS and she was still just completely bumfuzzled when she went with us up there for the service.

4. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    call a sewing machine repair shop or a sewing dealer... most of them will give you an idea what its worth ... call a few to make sure you are getting ripped off

5. PineappleMama

Good idea Dar, I can google shops up there and let her call those, and since she's got her magic jack she can check the ones down here too... no long distance calls at all... crafty.

I'd do it, but I'm afraid she isn't 100% on the model... the # isn't something she got off the machine, just what she figures it must be because it looks like that one in the picture... but there's another one by Davis that looks very very similar but with two 'handles' near the feet... could easily be mistaken. But I don't know because I've not actually clapped eyes on it.

6. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    when we cleaned out the attic in this place we found an old machine with no base.. the local guy asked for pics to be sent via email because he was doing this for free .. if i wanted to pay him for appraising it he would come out... so can someone take pics of it?

7. PineappleMama

Well, you would think so right?

But so far no dice. Mom didn't take her camera, didn't expect to need one.

Pepaw... I donno if he has a digital... seems like he does, but he's been absorbed getting contractors in and out of the attic or some such, phone ringing off the hook, etc. I'll tell mom, again, to send me a pic though, it would really help A LOT!

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Antiques Road Show!

9. PineappleMama

Those people could have an entire show just in Memaw's house... [​IMG]

10. greeneggsandham

greeneggsandham Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Putnam,CT
    Take a look at this site. It appears that Sears and Robuck used the Davis company for a few years for their sewing machines.
    http://www.ismacs.net/davis/home.html

I will say that I just bought an industrial singer from the 40's with a huge oak table and motor for $50.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by