Dawg53 and everyone else I need worming advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by navychick, Sep 19, 2011.

1. navychick

navychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    I have 12 happy, healthy 10 week old pullets. Is it appropriate to worm them preventatively? Can someone please give me very specific details? Worms really creep me out and I'd like to prevent them if at all possible. Thank you,

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They're too young for that, IMO. In fact, my first chickens were two years old before I wormed them for the very first time. If they free range, they probably will rarely need worming. It's up to you, but they're still babies yet.

4. kevs-chickadees

kevs-chickadees Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Mesa AZ
    Quote:Just curious, how come if they free range they are less likely to get worms? I agree as to mine free range but always wondered.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Just curious, how come if they free range they are less likely to get worms? I agree as to mine free range but always wondered.

The ground becomes covered in worm eggs. Rototilling once a year can be beneficial I have read if you can't free range.

6. kevs-chickadees

kevs-chickadees Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Mesa AZ
    Thanks, makes perfect sense now.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

In addition to that, depending on what is growing on your property, they may be consuming natural worm preventatives while on range. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by