Dawgs in the hen house

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ChicknBaron, Sep 15, 2012.

1. ChicknBaron

ChicknBaron Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Marysville KS
    I here and see alot of people who have dogs as there chicken guardians!! How do they do It??? do you have to raise them around chickens from a puppy or train them or WHat??? i have a black lab and the first time he saw them he went crazy and so did the chickens. any suggestions on breeds of dogs that generally get along with chickens? (if they're are given right exposure to them of course)[​IMG]

2. ChicknBaron

Sep 12, 2012
    Marysville KS
    Like there dogs get along fine with the chicks and chickens and everything!

3. serama hen

serama hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    Nothern New Jersey
    go on youtube i remeber a vid wich showed how to get a chicken and a dog used to eachother wonder how a dog acts to a chick cause i see cats and dogs never minding them playing or pecking them

4. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    My lab is 7 years old and I've only had chickens for a couple of years. She is fine around them, although I always am aware of her and what she's doing just in case...

I started with chicks and kept them in the house for a couple of weeks. After they moved from the brooder outside, I stayed with them and my dog whenever we were out, teaching her that they weren't toys.

That's just what worked for me.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Start by reading how parties that successfully keep dogs and poultry together do it. Try not wasting too much time on parties where things do not work out well. Concentrate first on methods used to get dog to calm down. Then look into how dog and birds are introduced to each other. Adult dogs are not easier than starting with pups but techniques used are generally different.

Control of dog, birds and ultimately yourself needed to speed process along.

6. ChicknBaron

Sep 12, 2012
    Marysville KS
    I have a lab too, but i still cant see him with them antime in the future, i'll try looking into it tho

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by