1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dawn's Story(crippled)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gguineasfamily, Jan 7, 2015.

1. gguineasfamily

gguineasfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    This is Dawn.
    [​IMG]
    He walks on his knees. Sorry he's a guinea fowl but I hope that chicken owners can see his story too.

When Dawn hatched, he was just a normal keet (guinea chick)
    [​IMG]
    But at 11 days old we woke up and he was lying down with one foot in the drinker. We thought he hurt himself trying to fly and separated him to get better. 6 weeks later we wondered why he wasn't better yet. By this time he was very skilled at scuttling around on his knees and used his wings for balance. For a year almost he tried to keep up with the others and he was very reckless and rubbed a lot of his wing feathers off. Then we got him a silkie chick for a friend(Twinkles).

But he got bumble foot in his leg. And the silkie turned out to be a rooster. So we advertised on Gumtree saying we wanted a crippled guinea or chicken. That's how we got Sunrise, who has a backward foot and splayed leg.
    [​IMG]
    Sorry this is the only photo I could find of Sunrise.
    Since then to straighten Dawn up we made him hammock
    [​IMG]
    After hammock
    [​IMG]
    This is his third hammock.
    And when December broke his leg Dawn was the perfect companion for him.
    Dawn has many other friends in the flock including Summer, his keethood friend, who always stayed with him as a keet, Cloudy, his brother who has splayed leg and comes to visit him, and Sunset, the once-lonely Lavender guinea hen who is December's newest girlfriend and who Sunrise tries to follow. Twinkles now thinks Dawn is a hen and tries to mate him.
    Dawn is very tame but also stubborn and reckless. He loves life and he loves it when we let him out so he can scuttle down the hill at top speed until he finds a nice grassy patch to rest.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Awwwwww, he's a sweetie! [​IMG] I love the hammock you made for him, and got him his own buddy as well! Thanks for sharing.

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm glad that Dawn is happy and has you to take such good care of him. I love those Guinea wattles.

4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Nice story and I love your bird names!

5. gguineasfamily

Jan 23, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    Thanks for the replies!

6. Scrambles55

Scrambles55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2013
    Beautiful North Idaho!
    What a wonderful story. Rumples would fit right in.

My avatar is Rumples when she could run and she is a tail less Ameraucana.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  7. gguineasfamily

Jan 23, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    Dawn passed away on the 23rd of September 2015. Sorry it's been a while and I haven't updated lately, but he lived a good life and scuttled around of his hocks for 2 and 3/4 years and God took him when he was ready. More photos coming soon.

8. Scrambles55

Scrambles55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2013
    Beautiful North Idaho!
    I am very sorry for your loss. You gave him more than most chickens would have gotten. A good life. Rumples is still alive and has raised several broods.

9. gguineasfamily

Jan 23, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia

Thank you, I'm glad to hear about Rumples. I hope everyone can that crippled pets deserve to live too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by