1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 0 for broody silkie! THEY HATCHED!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, May 10, 2009.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

I have been PRAYING that my silkie would become broody so I could test her willingness to become a mother. I don't know if any of you remember what happened last time I tried a broody hen?? Well, she ate her babies (I did save three) so I wanted to see what kind of mother my silkie would be. Now is my chance...she has been broody for two days now and tonight I'm sticking some eggs under her [​IMG] Wish me luck!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  2. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Good luck!

3. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Prayers from here. Two of mine just went broody too! I wish us both luck, both these are first timers. [​IMG]

I cheated I swapped the eggs they went broody on for the day five ones I had in the bator.

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Today is day 8 for my silkie and she is such a fabulous mother so far [​IMG] She has been getting off the nest every couple days to eat and poo and then she's back on it. I even moved her to a nest and at first she didn't like it but then she was ok with it. Tonight I will candle the eggs to see if they are alive and doing well. I only hope they are all fertile. They should be since my chickens are bare backed! Poor things...I NEED saddles. Good luck to you others out there with a broody [​IMG]

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Tomorrow I will see how good of a mother my silkie is. It's hatch day tomorrow. She was a little confused with all the eggs in the nest thing. She would pull them out and then try to pull them back in. Silly thing. My sex link was for sure a better sitter then my silkie but I'm hoping my silkie does a much better job at mothering then the sex link who ate her babies. I did take everyone else out of the cage and left her in there alone to do her job. I'm hoping that helps. We have two eggs left under her and one got broke at the start and one was not fertile. I will update when they hatch.

6. chickens asome

chickens asome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    kenora ontairo canada
    congrats

7. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Good luck!!!

8. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    Hope your eggs work with this hen. They have such patience to sit for 21 days!

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

SHE DID IT! I cannot believe it. They are three days late but I suppose becasue she wasn't to keep on keeping them IN the nest. We had to put them back under her twice. One is hatched and the other is almost zipped out now [​IMG] I'm SO sorry I have to go to work tonight now [​IMG] I want to watch to see how she does. This is the FIRST time I have ever seen a mother hen with her chicks and it's so darn cute! Silkies really ARE good mommies and this was her first time too [​IMG] What a good girl!

10. chickens asome

chickens asome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    kenora ontairo canada
    Quote:post so pictures for us

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by