Day 1 Chicks--what do you put in the water? Sugar? Electrolytes? Vinegar?

sarahandbray

Songster
5 Years
Aug 12, 2014
I've heard of conflicting reports about what to put in baby chick water once they come out of the box--what do you recommend?
I've heard a few teaspoons of sugar, electrolytes (bought a package of that at Tractor Supply), and Apple Cider Vimegar to reduce the occurrence of pasty butt.

What should I add to the water? And is room temp water ok or does it need to be colder/warmer.

Got the text that chicks shipped yesterday so I did a dry run of the brooder--looks great!!

Sarah

It really is up to you. If you use sugar, only use it for the first two days. So you may want to skip that.

Just remember to not mix any of them.

Enjoy your peepers!
smile.png

I would just use that packet you bought from TSC. I always put cold water in and it probably becomes room temp, but truly, I don't think you have to worry about the water temp. I never have.

After that first day, I don't add anything to the water. That's just me though. I've raised lots of healthy chicks. :)

You'll be surprised at how easy it is to take care of them. Just keep that brooder dry. I use pine shavings. Make sure the food says clean and dry.

I bet you'll do just fine!

Excited for you!

Oh my gosh, I'm so silly--I ordered 8oz of Quik Chik with the babies from McMurray! Guess I didn't realize what I ordered! I think this will work well perking them up when they arrive!!
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom