day 1 or day 2??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by coltssuperbowl83, Oct 19, 2011.

1. coltssuperbowl83

coltssuperbowl83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    When hatching eggs do you count the day that you put the eggs in the incubator as day 1 or do you let them come to temperature in the incubator for a full 24 hours before counting it as an actual incubation day [​IMG] ? Just wondering because no matter how i do it i am always off by a day.

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    what time did you put them in and on what day?

3. coltssuperbowl83

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    i don't have any in right now. I'm just curious as to how you guys count your incubation days. Hypothetically speaking though, lets say i put them in this morning at 9AM. Does that make today my day 1 or will tomorrow at 9AM be my day 1 since they will have been at 99.5F for 24 hours.

4. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i would count it as day 0 the day you put them in and the next day day 1

i put mine at around 1230ish monday and counted that as day 0 tuesday day 1 and today would be day 2

5. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i know some would count 9am as day 1 but i would count it as day 0

6. coltssuperbowl83

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    thats is what i do also but just wondering what everyone did and if it impacted the success of a hatch because that would mean you would be putting them into lockdown either a little early or a little late depending on what day you count as your day 1 and when you are acually supposed to start your count.

7. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    the day you set them is day 0
    the next day is day 1

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    An egg does not have 24 hours worth of development 2 seconds after it is placed in the incubator. It takes 24 hours for an egg to have 24 hours worth of development. 24 hours is considered a day. If you put them in at 9:00 a.m. on a Wednesday, they will have 24 hours worth of developent at 9:00 a.m. on Thursday morning. In theory eggs should hatch after 21 days of development, not 20 days and 2 seconds.

An easy way to figure theoretical hatch date is that the day of the week you set them is the day of the week they should hatch. If you set them on a Wednesday mornng, chicken eggs should hatch on a Wednesday morning three weeks later.

The fly in the ointment is that chicken eggs often do not hatch exactly 21 days of development after they are started. To start with, hatch is not an instantaneous process. The chick internally pips. Some time later it externally pips. Then some time later it zips and emerges. During this time, it is absorbing the yolk, drying up no longer needed blood vessels, learning to breathe air instead of breathing a liquid, and who knows what else to prepare to hatch. This process can easily take well over a 24 hour day.

There are also many different things that affect how close to 21 days of development it takes for a specific egg to hatch. Average incubating temperature is a big one. If the average incubating temperature is a bit high, the egg can hatch early, sometimes more than two days early. If the average incubating temoerature is low, it can really be late. Heredity, humidity, egg size, how it is stored before starting incubation, and some other things can also affect when it hatches. The 21 days of development is a target, not an absolute time.

Lockdown should be after 18 days of development. There are different things going on with lockdown, but a really important one is to have the humidity raised when the egg externally pips. That reduces the risk of shrink-wrapping the chick. With all the possible things that can cause actual pip to vary quite a bit, the absolutely exact timing of lockdown is not real critical as long as it is before the egg pips. I think it is good practice to go into lockdown after 18 days of development, but it is not absolutely necessary all the time. Being off several hours is not that big a deal as long as it is before pip.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  9. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:[​IMG]
    Main reason I set my eggs at 12:00 midnight!! My pips have normally started but sunrise of day 21! less stress on me wondering if their going to pip or not haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by