1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 10 Candle - What is this dark streak going top to bottom?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JoshFig, Jan 7, 2016.

1. JoshFig

JoshFig Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2015
    This is my first batch incubating - This egg is on day 10, it has looked healthy so far, but this line going from the pointy end of the egg down showed up last night (I hadn't candled in 2 days). It doesn't look like a blood ring from the photos I've seen of those - any ideas? Is this normal? Or potentially a blood ring that hasn't settled out yet?

Thanks for bearing with the newbie question.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DRaeMc

DRaeMc Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2015
    La Grange, KY
    It looks like it started and stopped.

I judge off of veins, if I don't see veins then I toss.

3. JoshFig

JoshFig Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2015
    Started growing and stopped? It does still have veins - but if I understand right they can take a few days to dissolve. You can see them a bit in this image. Other than that dark line - I don't see any other signs that the eggs is bad - any other thoughts on that?

[​IMG]

4. DRaeMc

DRaeMc Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2015
    La Grange, KY
    To me it looks like it started then stopped. I don't toss until I no longer see veins and everything seems to sink to whatever direction you have it and stays there instead of floating around.

5. MediGirl1987

MediGirl1987 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2015
    Salmo, BC
    I say keep it in. If there are no fowl smells in the incubator, and it doesn't have fluid coming out of it, might as well wait and see around Day 14 then candle again and see if it has progressed like the others. If not, then get rid of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by