Day 10 - candled and I think they are all growing!! So excited!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jacyjones, May 4, 2009.

1. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    This is my first hatch and I am learning everyday. When I candled at day 7 I could not really see anything and was quite worried that nothing was growing. I did them again tonight at day 10 and all the light shells are definitely growing well. the marans have such dark shells it is difficult to tell but I think they are doing well too!! I am so pleased and hope this continues!! Fingers crossed for continuing growth fo rmy babies!! [​IMG]

2. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Congratulations! Although "life" can be seen in the eggs at an earlier day, I think days 10-12 are about the best time for candeling. It is obvious from both beginners through experts to see the chicks moving. Hope your hatch goes well for you! [​IMG]

3. jacyjones

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Thank you. Should I candle again in a few days or leave well alone now?

4. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Its fun to see the chicks moving in the egg, so I say go for it! I'm on day 16-17 now and the eggs are getting pretty crowded and more difficult to see movement with the light now showing through only the air-cell end and a smidgeon on the small end! I'd say that day 15-16 is perfect for weeding out any that may have died or are clear(even with the darker shells) I think maybe a quick look into the eggs as I remove them from the turner and lay them on their sides on day 18 will be the final check on the very few questionables I'd left in the bator also. After that, the bator stays closed until all are hatched unless a hatching problem arises! [​IMG]

5. jacyjones

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Thanks for that - I will take your advice there.

6. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Good Luck Jacy. What are you hatching?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by