1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 10 Egg Candling Tragedy

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MuskokaChick, Jun 24, 2011.

1. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I am just sick to my stomach and nothing is making me feel better about it all

I was taking the egg to candle and it fell right out of my hand, fumbled to catch it...[​IMG]

Poor beautiful fully formed chick...

Will this feeling ever go away.... [​IMG]

2. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    [​IMG] so sorry.i also have done that once before.i felt horrible.you will feel better tho after a little time.we all make mistakes,dont beat yourself up..

3. MuskokaChick

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    Thank you...

I have been talking to my daughters about the chicks and not to expect any...and if we get any we are lucky, and maybe some might not make it after the hatch...just explaining to them all the things that could go wrong...and then I go and drop an egg candling [​IMG]

Guess I should have given myself the pep talk...

4. Alexis

Alexis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Aww man, I hate it when things like that happen. I'm still beating myself up. We had a chick hatch over a week ago - and several days later I was pretty sure the rest must be complete duds, so I cracked one open and same story - completely formed, it just had yolk left to absorb. [​IMG]

Thankfully I didn't do it in front of the kids, but I was SO upset with myself!! I left the remaining eggs under my broody, thinking that maybe I'd get one or two more, and I ended up yesterday with five chicks total! Not too shabby considering I almost dumped all of the rest thinking they were way too late. Still a mystery why one hatched 7 days before the rest, but I'll take it [​IMG]

Direct happy thoughts to the new babies on the way. Accidents just happen. [​IMG]

5. MuskokaChick

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    thank you for that...

ok...I am glad I posted here...i am starting to feel better...*sigh*

11 more days of waiting...then the anxiety starts [​IMG]

I hope the 4 remaining viable ones hatch...and a week later I guess I can expect some under the hen...

[​IMG]

6. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Is this your first time hatching and how many eggs do you have in the bator? I know how you feel and I bet a lot of us on here do to. [​IMG]

I one time got 6 chicks from TSC and put them under a heat lamp, they were still in the box I got from TS. They all died because they could not move away from the heat. I hand picked them out and I cried for days.

So I guess we all make mistakes. I hope you hatch many many babies. [​IMG]

7. MuskokaChick

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    yes very first time.

I had 8 in there...I candled at day 5 and 5 of the 8 were showing signs, and then today day 10, took one out for a lookie and well...anyway...I am down to 4 viable and 3 not showing anything...but I don't have the heart to toss them just yet (maybe on day 14 or before lock down?)

So I am hoping for 4 chicks from the bator..and again the hen is out in the coop sitting on 13 eggs. I marked them because I am going to take away any more she lays.

I learned my lesson...JUST LEAVE EM ALONE! But it is going to be a long 11 days I tell you...I need to find ANOTHER hobby to keep my mind off of this hobby...

[​IMG]

8. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    MuskokaChick

Sorry it happened to you. I was candeling right out of the incubator and into the hatcher, one that had movement slipped right out of my hand but I caught it on the way down. Doing so it hit the edge of the table and cracked. I threw some tape on it, didn't break the membrane so I'm cautiously hopeful. It'll happen to all of us at some point, don't beat yourself up over it.

9. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
  10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Good luck on the rest. I usually candle on day 10 then again when I go into lock down on day 18.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by