day 10 in the incubator.. one egg cracking with something coming out?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 88heather, Sep 10, 2011.

1. 88heather

88heather Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Black Forest, CO
    I posted the candling pics the other day in another thread.. my one egg that is cracking has something dried on it that looks like it oozed out from the cracks. the crack is spreading more since yesterday.. I guess it's a loss?? I'll go and take a pic and candle and post those in a few but if something oozed out but now dry.. I guess it's hopeless?

Ok.. going to candle and take pics now!

2. 88heather

May 9, 2009
    Black Forest, CO
    this is egg#2. i have it pulled from the incubator. it kind of smells a little. but here are the pics of it.. if anyone cares to see.

cracked. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

candled pics of this egg:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I would try to avoid letting a bad egg get that far in incubation. By doing so, you are risking an egg explosion. When an egg begins to decompose inside, gases build up pressure and could cause an explosion of bacteria which could contaminate your entire hatch.

4. 88heather

May 9, 2009
    Black Forest, CO
    it is sooo cracked and more so than this pic shows.. I did the right thing, right????? it is dark.. i hope I didn't kill anything.. i have this egg pulled from the incubator and in a ziploc bag and will double bag and throw away.. anyone have any input??

5. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Toss it outside immediately if you haven't already. You really really don't want that to explode. Really.

6. nurse_turtle

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    By the time the crack showed up, the egg had been bad for several days already. You did fine. If it smells bad, it's long dead.

7. 88heather

May 9, 2009
    Black Forest, CO
    Wow!! thanks,. by everyone's reaction i did the right thing!!! It's OUT and will be triple bagged and in trash!!!

Thank you .. thank you THANks!!!

an egg explosion.. I do NOT want!!!!! [​IMG]

I have another day 10 questionable egg.. i want to post.. to me this one looks to be doing nothing.. [​IMG]

8. 88heather

May 9, 2009
    Black Forest, CO
    this egg looks to be doing NOTHING!.. this is egg#4 (i posted all these in another thread).. I have a few pics of this one.. but looks no good... [​IMG] this is another blue egg like the cracked egg.. but looks like it's doing nothing.. what do ya'll think??? day 10 in incubator

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. nurse_turtle

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Whenever I candle, I sniff each egg while I'm at it. The more you candle, the more confident you'll be when tossing out the non fertile, the cracked and porous and the quitters. When unsure, put it back in the bator and check again in 3 days time. If it looks the same, toss it. To keep up with which egg looks like which, feel free to draw on your eggs. If you candle and see a blood ring or blood spot, mark it. That way if you choose to incubate a few more days, you'll know if it has changed any based on your previous drawings. Even keep a little chart if it helps. Label your eggs A, B, C ... and make notes about each every time you candle and eventually you may not need the chart as your experience and confidence grows.

And that egg is considered to be extremely porous and bacteria most likely invaded early on and prevented development or it was not fertile to start with. Feel confident knowing if there are no vessels, there is no life and toss that one.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by