1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 10, no veins, possible temp problems

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Proverb31mama, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Proverb31mama

Proverb31mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    Allen County, IN
    We are incubating for the first time. We have a Hovabator with a fan and an automatic egg turner and a thermometer/hygrometer. We bought the kit from incubator warehouse.
    We put the eggs in last Tuesday night so they are 10 days tonight. I candled them at 7 days and again last night at 9 days. There were no veins or anything showing just yolkes. So I cracked three or four of them open to see what I could see. Again there were no veins or anything. One of them had possibly a small clearish goobie thing in the yolk. But they just looked like an egg that I cracked after gathering. Except that the yolk and white were runny probably because of the warmth?
    The thermostat was at 99 to 100 degrees for most of the time. It did spike to 103 a couple of times and went down a couple of times as well. I did some research today and noticed that you're supposed to calibrate your thermometer which I didn't didn't do because I didn't know. So I tried to check the calibration today by putting it in a bowl of ice water. And it read 35 degrees. So that means my thermos thermometer is 3 degrees off? So it has actually been around 96 degrees for the 10 days not 99. Is that correct? If so what are the chances of the eggs developing if I turned up the temperature? Since it has been 10 days is it worth continuing or should we throw out these eggs and try again with a new batch?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Are you sure that you are dealing with fertile eggs?

3. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    X 2!

4. lindalouly

lindalouly Grd Ctrl 2 Major Tom

Do you know how to look to see if your eggs are fertile before you Incubate? You should see a white bullseye in the yolk when you crack it open. Do you have a rooster who is of age that is breeding with your flock? You bator should show some developement after a few days.

5. Proverb31mama

May 15, 2015
    Allen County, IN
    Yes, I know how to check for fertility. I haven't checked every egg for a while but when I was checking about 2/3 of them were fertile. I only had one rooster then. We had another cockerel come into maturity a couple weeks ago. And we have 29 females. So they should be well covered. Even at 2/3 fertility there is no way that 42 eggs gathered over a couple days could possibly all be infertile. What re the odds of that? So yes, I believe that I am dealing with fertile eggs.

6. lindalouly

Ohhhh geez I dont know then...... You have your temperatures right?? your humidity based of air cell right? This is a tough one.

7. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    If you have lots of eggs, I'd consider starting over if they've been at that low of a temp for that long. But that's just my opinion - I would think they would be much healthier incubating from the right temp from the start instead of trying to save any that might start now.

8. Proverb31mama

May 15, 2015
    Allen County, IN
    l

Wow, that is a lot of great information! I just went and pulled one of the vent plugs on my incubator. I accidentally got water in the digital thermometer while I was trying to calibrate it so I have no idea what temperatures rise humidity is going on in my incubator. I have a couple of analog thermometers that I put in there but I don't know if they are accurate either. If you have any other suggestions for me please let me know.

9. lindalouly

There is a thread called incubating with friends. On the first page are links just like the one I posted. Sally sunshine is the one that created these notes. There is a thread on there about calibrating you thermometers. If I were still on my computer I would post it. Good luck and keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by