day 10~~~~~~ :( What happened..ideas?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DixieChickie, Jul 13, 2011.

1. DixieChickie

DixieChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    VA
    And it's dead.....I candle every morning because my son wants to do a folder to take back to school. Yesterday morning I had a bouncing baby, that I could hardly photograph through the veins and with it moving so much. This morning teeny spider veins and the baby chick floating at the top, no movememt. Temps have been at about 101* at top of eggs. It's been pretty consistent, I was actually wondering why everyone complained of problems. The last 2 evenings, howevee, I had to struggle keeping the temp up....not sure why nothing in the house has changes. I would go to bed at 12 am and wake up 4 or 5 times during the night and check. Last night as I fought the incubator, I told hubby that I thought I should move the eggs to the new incubator. It had been running for a week rock soli temps and humidity, and even had 3 eggs in it that were developing (heartbeats seen)....I was just scared to move the almost halfway through incubation egg into a different incubator. I meant to post and ask opinions on that subject yesterday. Maybe if I had moved the egg to the other bator........

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  2. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Quote:Sometimes eggs just stop developing and it is nothing that the incubator or you are doing. Eggs can have temp changes without dying even if they are under a hen. Usually lower temps just make the eggs take a little longer to develop it doesn't really kill the embryo. I would think that it was probably something wrong with the egg itself that made it not develop fully. You shouldn't beat yourself up about it I don't think it was anything you did.

3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Obviously this advice is not very helpful as there's a reason you're candling every day, but the less you handle your incubating eggs, the better your hatch rate will be. Even if you scrupulously wash your hands, don't make any sharp movements, are ever so careful with the egg etc, just the simple act of your handling it every day greatly increases the chances of the embryo not making it through to hatching...

4. DixieChickie

DixieChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    VA
    Yeah, I told him we were not going to candle these guys every day. I'll do every 3 days or so with pics...I told him we can look up what is developing day by day and he can write that in his folder. And we'll look up diagrams for each day...on the days we candle he can do the same and add a pic of how our egg looks. and of course we'll try to get pics as they pip and hopefully hatch. I think it will still turn out as a great project.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by