1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 10

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cassandra K, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Cassandra K

Cassandra K New Egg

Jan 8, 2017
    Today's day 10 and I need to know what's going on or what to do. I had a couple eggs that I could see the shadow and air pocket but no spidy veins and no blood rings. Help...

2. Cassandra K

Cassandra K New Egg

Jan 8, 2017
    [​IMG]

3. hailstorm97

hailstorm97 Just Hatched

Jan 14, 2017
    Midwest
    First of all, blood rings are bad. I'm pretty sure that it indicates a dying or dead egg. BYC actually has extensive information on this as well. Second, how did it look around days 4-7? Did any have veins then? Or is this the first day you've candled? I would need to know a little bit more info to be any help. Egg should be darker towards the bigger end as well and have a healthy upright airsac if I'm correct. I've been told to leave my eggs longer, even if I think they're not good, by many people. Might be okay by just checking multiple times a day for bad smell. You should probably wait till lockdown to take any out anyways unless you're having problems.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  4. hailstorm97

hailstorm97 Just Hatched

Jan 14, 2017
    Midwest
    Sorry, not saying you didn't know what a bloodring was either, I realize how that could sound and I'm sorry lol:p

5. GraceHomestead

GraceHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2016
    I am a NEWBIE and doing my first hatch so.....To me It looks like an infertile egg OR we had one that look kind of like yours and we decided to take it out. When we cracked it there was a few small veins but that was it. It was a dud. I say wait until day 14 and if it looks the same take it out. At day 10 you should be seeing a lot of veins! We just candled ours Sunday (day 7) and we could see the embryo moving all over the place and a ton of veins.

6. Cassandra K

Cassandra K New Egg

Jan 8, 2017
    I know about the veins and blood rings, I can't can see veins in a couple eggs. I can just see the shadow. The air pocket is still getting bigger and so is the shadow. So I don't know what to think. I left them in because there is the shadow and no blood vein.

7. Cassandra K

Cassandra K New Egg

Jan 8, 2017
    Most we could see veins, we don't have a good light so I ended up candling with my phone flashlight lol. This is my first hatch too.

8. GraceHomestead

GraceHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2016
    When I candled ours Sunday there were 4 that I put a ? On because I just couldn't tell. The brown eggs are so darn hard to see through. After my flashlight wasnt doing much good I turned to the flashlight on my phone too and it worked great! 3 of the 4 I put a ? On I candled today and they are there moving all around so I am glad I left them in the incubator. The one egg is so dark I can BARELY see veins but the stuff inside is moving just cant see the embryo. I figure if its moving its in there :)

9. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    All eggs have a shadow fertile, or infertile. The shadow is the yolk, if you dont see blood vessels, most likely the egg is infertile. By day 10 the blood vessels should be obvious!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  10. hailstorm97

hailstorm97 Just Hatched

Jan 14, 2017
    Midwest
    The air sac can change in size regardless of the fertility of the egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by