Day 11 in the incubator, I threw away 4 eggs :(

Amanda39

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 14, 2014
White Lake, Michigan
Hello all, today was a bit of a tear jerker for me. This is my very first experience with eggs, incubators and birds, and today I made the decision to get rid of 4 eggs. 3 of them were in the "stuck" position for the last week. Meaning, when I turned them, the yolk didn't move. I would have tossed them sooner, but people advised me to wait until day 11. There were no vessels of any kids that I could see either and they were beginning to smell! I was curious as to what they looked like inside, so I cracked each one open and poured them in a bowl. It made me feel good to make the decision as they were definitely not fertile. Boy did they stink!!!! Then the 4th one was a difficult decision. I could see a few really dark vessels. But just a few. They weren't pink vessels spread out all over, just 2 maybe 3 really dark vessels. There was no sign of a baby, so I made the call that it was an early death. I cracked that one open as well. I could see blood, and vessels, but no obvious baby. It made me sad, I can't help that I was the reason for it's demise. On the other hand, the 2 remaining goose eggs are moving and growing well, as well as the little duck egg in there.

I don't know if I would change the way I have been incubating next time as these other 3 eggs are thriving. Plus, there is nothing I can do about an infertile egg. But the early death one made me sad.

On a more positive note, the 5 goose eggs in the other incubator are on day 5 and all fertile! I plan do stop turning after day 26 and lock down as I have been advised. I hope and pray they all make it.

I thought 9 months took forever when I was pregnant, but a month seems even longer!!!

Hello all, today was a bit of a tear jerker for me. This is my very first experience with eggs, incubators and birds, and today I made the decision to get rid of 4 eggs. 3 of them were in the "stuck" position for the last week. Meaning, when I turned them, the yolk didn't move. I would have tossed them sooner, but people advised me to wait until day 11. There were no vessels of any kids that I could see either and they were beginning to smell! I was curious as to what they looked like inside, so I cracked each one open and poured them in a bowl. It made me feel good to make the decision as they were definitely not fertile. Boy did they stink!!!! Then the 4th one was a difficult decision. I could see a few really dark vessels. But just a few. They weren't pink vessels spread out all over, just 2 maybe 3 really dark vessels. There was no sign of a baby, so I made the call that it was an early death. I cracked that one open as well. I could see blood, and vessels, but no obvious baby. It made me sad, I can't help that I was the reason for it's demise. On the other hand, the 2 remaining goose eggs are moving and growing well, as well as the little duck egg in there. 

I don't know if I would change the way I have been incubating next time as these other 3 eggs are thriving. Plus, there is nothing I can do about an infertile egg. But the early death one made me sad. 

On a more positive note, the 5 goose eggs in the other incubator are on day 5 and all fertile! I plan do stop turning after day 26 and lock down as I have been advised. I hope and pray they all make it. 

I thought 9 months took forever when I was pregnant, but a month seems even longer!!!

Please dont feel badly about the early death. You really could have lost that egg because of a genetic abnormality, not necessarily incubator error. Sometimes they quit for that reason as well!

Back
Top Bottom