Day 11 no movement - bad sign?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Homesteadin, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Homesteadin

Homesteadin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2015
    I have 7 duck eggs incubating and all of them have had noticeable movement inside every time I have candled (yes I candle probably more than I need to :p) except for one that, for the last couple days, hasn't shown movement at all that I can see. Does that mean something? There are still noticeable veins... is it fine as long as I don't see those veins disappearing?

2. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    If there are still veins present, then there's still hope. Are the veins still nice and bright red? It could be that particular embryo is always "sleeping" when you candle, but it could also mean impending trouble. The veins will all contract together within a day or so of the embryo dying.

How often are you candling? You should give them at least a few days between candling (I know it's hard to resist!) because it does disturb them quite a bit to be moved around and have a bright light flashed into their little developing faces. Each time you candle also increases the risk of them being accidentally broken. ;)

3. Homesteadin

Mar 16, 2015
    The veins that I can see are still bright red, and there are some that seem faded but maybe they are just not as close to the shell...I am generally suspicious about this one because it also has a super abnormal air cell (shipped eggs), but I want to give it a chance if it still has one.

Um... I am candling about once a day... sometimes more - I know, bad! Haha. This is my first time incubating and I feel like a little kid who just has to see every little thing that's happening... multiple times. :) I will try to rerfrain to at most only candling when I need to measuree the progress of the air cell. Thank you for the much needed slap on the wrist!

4. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Yeah, especially with shipped eggs who have abnormal air cells, you really shouldn't be moving them around much. Their air cells are likely "jiggly" and oddly shaped, so they do need to be left alone to reattach as much as possible to give them a chance at surviving till hatch. ;) Resist the urge!

5. Homesteadin

Mar 16, 2015
    Okay I shall! Sure don't want to kill them with my good intentions :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by