1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 11 - only seeing a growing air pocket

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shandy, Mar 5, 2017.

1. shandy

shandy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2016
    First time attempt at hatching eggs and we are using a forced air incubator.... We are on day 11 today

I honestly don't know how we could be missing it, but each time we've looked at our eggs, we are really only noticing the air pocket growing, I can't seem to see any veins or anything. I'm sure at least most of our eggs would be fertilized (they came from our flock) and I had the incubator set up and running before putting the eggs in. They are fat side up and being turned automatically. When I look at them, I hold it fat side up and look with either a flashlight and my hand, or a candler that came with the incubator.

Any hints on what to look for (good/bad signs) or maybe even just some encouragement that it's not as easy to see as I've read about!? [​IMG]

2. Oftwife03

Oftwife03 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2016
    Can you post some pictures? What color eggs? Some of my blues and browns it's so hard to see in them that I just have to hope all is well.

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Where are you holding the light? If you candle down into the egg from the air cell it should illuminate the air cell and if the eggs aren't real dark, the development. Darker eggs are harder, some impossible to see into. A bright light and dark room is pretty much a necessity. I'll throw up a couple pics of my candling. The early ones my hand kinda covers most of the air cell, but I think you can get what I'm describing. I just have to switch to desktop to upload them.

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. shandy

shandy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2016
    Thanks!!! I had a friend stop by yesterday and we discovered that my incubator wasn't even close to the temp, so we scrapped all the eggs. I guess we learned from it and I will be getting a new incubator that WORKS!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by