Day 11 - Veins or blood ring?

BayCityBabe

Songster
11 Years
May 1, 2008
Okay, DD and I candled on Day 7 (with a flashlight), didn't see anything that our inexperienced eyes could identify as positive. We built a candler with my desk lamp & candled again today. I see rings that look like the dreaded bacterial rings.
sad.png
But we also see a few with small red lines with dark shadows, parallel to them. Could this be the start of veins?
Also, some of the eggs have air pockets that have clearly grown. Is this good news?
Please, I just want a glimmer of hope! :eek:

Yes definitely DO NOT TOSS until day 14, unless they are stinky. Especially if you are not sure what you are seeing! I only had a few that moved while candling, with my first two hatches, and I hatched 17 chicks total!

I am no expert, but it is really hard for me to tell much until day 14. Sit tight and give it time. Some times my "blood rings" turn out to be nothing except the embryo floating around. At day 14, you should see a dark looking lump that is starting to fill the shell. That would be the chick. It you see no change by day 18-20, I would discard the egg.
smile.png

Last edited:
when in doubt, wait until day 10-14, unless they smell of course
wink.png
. Sometimes the veins do look like a bacterial ring and I know some people here have opened some up thinking they were no good. You will know without a doubt on day 14(sometimes day 10). Good luck
thumbsup.gif

You should actually see the little guy moving around in there, look for a dark eyeball, it should appear and dissapear as the chick dances around.

pics! pics!
big_smile.png

It is probably just the veins. Do they move slightly when you turn the egg? That's what one of our fertile eggs was like when it started veining.

They DO move as we move the egg! I have been so "nervy" because we have had temp fluctuations. Plus, they are Silkies and Showgirls - much anticipated by DD.
Now, what about the air pockets? They don't grow on 'bad' eggs, do they?

Air pockets usually only grow if the chick is still alive, I think. Not sure, so I am hoping someone else will have a better answer for you!
smile.png

Quote:
The air pocket getting bigger has to do with the egg losing humidity, I don't think it has anything to do with whether or not the egg is fertile.

I understand that it has to do with the loss of humidity. Is this an aerobic exchange from & for the chick? I mean, do you folks ever get his from dead eggs?

Back
Top Bottom