Day 12 Candling question??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crazy chook, Jul 6, 2010.

1. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    Ok so I am at day 12, have candled all the eggs and discarded any that were clear.

I have 3 eggs that show the air sac then dark spot (about 1/4 of the egg) than the pointed end is clear?? Should I assume that they have died at some stage? I though I should see more solid mass at day 12 with veining?

I will try to take some photos to post.............just would like to know if I should be discarding them or am keeping them?

I don't want any exploding eggs in the incubator.

Thanks

2. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    Wake up [​IMG] Wake up [​IMG] Wake up [​IMG] I need help...

I do realize that it is only 5:30 or so in the morning and you guys are asleap.. BUT its 7:50 here in Australia and I so need some help. I took some photos, I don't know if these will help but I would prefer not to throw any away that may still be alive and just want confirmation that they are gone.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

So this is all the same egg. My camera is not great and the torch sux!

Any one know where I can get a good torch with out the heavy price and shipping to OZ!

3. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Sorry love...I'm awake but no expert! [​IMG] There's a sticky at the very top of this forum...something about candling eggs. They have pics as to what the developing eggs look like every few days. Maybe compare what you're seeing to the pics....until someone more knowledgeable wakes up! [​IMG] As to the torch...I picked up a light at my auto parts store. It looks like an ink pen...very bright...works great on the eggs! Good luck!

4. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Here's the thread. I think he/she is dead [​IMG] is there any movement whatsoever?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  5. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    If the egg has developed a fair amount, it usually has a small chance of explosion. Bomb eggs are typically eggs that have not developed and which are infected by bacteria. The bacteria let off gasses as they nom on tasty egg bits, which causes pressure in the egg. I'd leave them in till lockdown, and if they don't develop any further, then take them out when you lockdown.

6. SportChick

SportChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    Maybe get a brighter light if that is possible? I would expect the veins to be visible at that stage. I agree with marking it an rechecking in several days.

7. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    When I am candling eggs and I see absolutely no movement I gently tap on the egg to see if maybe the chick is just resting and if I still can't see movement then I toss the egg. Sometimes you could have a quitter in there or even a bad egg. I have one that I decided to leave in the incubator because I just couldn't tell one way or the other. That was yesterday when I thought I was going to lockdown today (well some started pipping and chirping yesterday evening before I made it to lockdown)

8. CelticMoon1

CelticMoon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    I'd try putting the egg in a bowl of luke warm clean water. Wait for the egg to settle in the wawter then observe it (watch for movements). If it moves it's definately alive. I've had eggs look like that at 12 days and hatch.

9. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    To me, those pics look like clears. That dark bit is most likely the yolk. At Day 12, you'd see quite a lot more development than that.

I say clears because the eggs will normally develop along the top first, and the veins normally go 360 around the top as they spread out from the settled yolk. Of course I suppose this depends on if you have them stored in the bator pointy side down or laying on their sides. Either way, they still look like clears to me.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  10. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Quote:I agree. That is not enough development for day 12

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by