day 12 candling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KingSpeck, May 11, 2010.

1. KingSpeck

KingSpeck Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    This is my first time with a broody. We are on day 12 and I tried to candle a few eggs. My flashlight is not too bright so all I could see was mostly darkness with a well defined air pocket at the large end. I couldn't see any movement but really I couldn't see much at all. What should day 12 viable eggs look like? What would a quitter look like?

2. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    edited and reposted below [​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  3. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    I'm curious to what a quitter looks like too. We are on day 11, in an incubator, and some look great, some not so great, some... not sure. But I can tell you that when you can candle good, you should be able to see veins running through the egg. We made our own candler. It is a small box with a utility light through the side (nice and bright), and a small hole on the top. You hold the egg small side down over that hole for viewing. Make sure the room you are candling in is dark. Turn the light on, hold your egg over the hole, and see what you can see. Good luck to you!

4. calicokat

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    I've been reading a lot on this, we're on day 11 and it sounds like you might have 12 good eggs there. I had one that maybe wasn't fertile - with the flashlight it looked clear and the airsac was like a bubble moving around in the egg as I turned it. Cracked that one open and just yolk and white - nothing developed at all.

As for quitters, I'm not so sure there. Hopefully others will chime in soon!

5. calicokat

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Is it awful to say that I'm glad to hear others are struggling with this too [​IMG] seeing some that look ok, some just not sure, etc. I thought I was a candling dork because I just couldn't tell on all of them:confused:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by