1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 13 and RIR Eggs are wobbling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hedgfun, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Hedgfun

Hedgfun Out Of The Brooder

I have 40 RIR eggs in the incy, im at Day 13. Never seen them wobble this early before, is this normal?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    No, the earliest I've seen any large fowl eggs wobble was day 20, or roughly 24 hours before they started hatching.

3. shannondee12

shannondee12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    I had some do that and after further investigation (I got them from my brothers coop) he thinks that they we being set on by a hen for a while before I got them so they were further progressed than I thought. They hatched at day 18

4. Hedgfun

thanks for the replies sumi and shannon, will see how it goes. ill update this post if anything happens before hatch day.

5. Avlana

Avlana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I've seen eggs wobble early. Numerous times. I don't remember which days they were on. But I remember thinking that it was unusually early and well before hatch time. I've seen it happen in my brinsea mini incubator which you can easily view the eggs almost all around and I had them on my kitchen counter. So up closer to eye level, not like peering down into an incubator. Since they were in my kitchen, and I'm always in that dang kitchen, I caught it happening. And the eggs lay loosely on their sides in that turner so I could easily see wiggles. I think eggs do begin to wiggle early, we just don't usually see it. And they all hatched out just fine. I've seen this especially with duck eggs (chickens too). The ducks are always early wigglers.

6. shannondee12

shannondee12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    Since roosters are said to progress faster, I would be curious to find out if the ones that wiggled early are in fact boys.

7. Hedgfun

Well, the update:

Only two hatched. One was very small and had splayed legs and the other was alot bigger with no physical problems. My two kids begged to keep both.

Sadly the one with played legs as it got older, was getting worse to the point it was going round and round in circles and had to be dispatched. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

The other one is doing fine, living the life of riley at present in a very large puppy playpen on the dining room table, only a few weeks left to go before it goes outside to join the others. We have called it scruffy. I will try and get some photos if I can prize the digital cam off my son.

Peter

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by