1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 13 in the Brinsea Mini Advance .. Candling pics on remaining eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 88heather, Sep 14, 2011.

1. 88heather

88heather Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Black Forest, CO
    Eggs left in my Brinsea Mini advance incubator

Egg #1.. I think this one still is good.. Green Americauna egg

[​IMG]

Eggs 2 and #3 tossed as bad eggs already.. [​IMG]

Egg #4 (tossed this morning.. I hoped something would happen but just looks like a dud. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Egg #5 (Black Copper Maran egg.. boy are these hard to see thru and photo! ) So hard to tell but think this is a keeper! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Egg #6.. BCM egg.. uggh.. hard to see thru this one! (2 pics for this one) Think this one is a keeper too! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Egg #7 BCM egg.. Keeping this one too.. sorry it's blurry.. I need to figure out the best camera settings for these photos..

[​IMG]

So down to 4 in the incubator with 7 days left today.. Hatch scheduled for Wednesday next week Sept 21st! (I hope!)

Anyone have any input? I'm sure I did the right thing on tossing Egg #4.. looked bad.. This is my first hatch... [​IMG]

2. 88heather

May 9, 2009
    Black Forest, CO
    Also.. Forgot to ask.. Is it true that soon you should see the eggs wobble as you get closer to hatch day?? I keep staring at them wondering if they start to rock a little.

Thanks anyone can answer! [​IMG]

3. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi

Yes its true the eggs start to twitch and move towards the end of incubation. If you place the eggs on a flat smooth surface from about day 17/18 you may see them twitch a bit. Movement becomes more obvious within a few days of hatching as the chick enters the hatching process.

Here's a link to an incubation thread I did earlier which may help you more;

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=491013

There are other incubation links and info on our website;

http://oakgarthgeese.com

Best of luck with your eggs [​IMG]

Pete [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  4. 88heather

May 9, 2009
    Black Forest, CO
    Wow Pete!!!! Thanks for that link.. tons of info there!! Will have to go back to it when I have more time to sit and read the whole thing! Great work! [​IMG]

Do you think my assessment of my eggs is right? or is it too hard to tell with my dark eggs?

5. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi

You're very welcome and yes, I think you are absolutely correct in your assessment of your eggs. Number 4 appeared infertile, the others look ok. If you can buy a cheap pen torch ready for hatching which you can shine onto the air cell end to help assess their progress during the hatching process. Shouldnt be too expensive [​IMG]

Pete [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by