Day 13 Turkey Egg Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by trimpy, May 22, 2010.

1. trimpy

trimpy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2010
    Grafton, WV
    I have 10 blue slate turkey eggs in the incubator. Since this is my first time hatching anything, I am very unsure as to what is supposed to be happening. I made a candling rig out of a spare brooder lamp, a 40w lightbulb and a piece of cardboard with a hole in it. I have used this setup a few times and have looked at all my eggs... I can see the air bubble at one end, then it is completely dark until the tip where I can see light through the egg. I have not seen anything else.

Is the big dark area the yolk and have all my eggs failed to start? Should I crack one open and take a look?

2. msheets

msheets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Hurricane, WV
    Do you see any veins? I always look for veins first, then I look to see if there's any other signs like movement or possibly the outline of the chick's body. I'm pretty new as well...

3. trimpy

Mar 13, 2010
    Grafton, WV
    Nope, no veins.. just a uniformly dark middle 75% of the egg.

4. trimpy

Mar 13, 2010
    Grafton, WV
    Double post

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  5. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Turkey eggs are not easy to candle but it sounds like you have turkeys in the eggs. I never toss unless 1. egg stink or 2. egg weeping or has dots of amber looking stuff dried on the shell or 3. clear or @ 20 days just has a shadow in the egg. I just had a hatch of turkeys and I only looked at them 3 times; day 7 just to see anything I never toss day 12 toss clears day 24 look for kicking turkeys and toss clears and anything tat doesn't look right compared to the other eggs sometimes with shipped eggs you get eggs that start and quit you can tell by lock down-anything that might make it I leave I have several turkeys and chickens from eggs that I might have tossed and decided to leave in with dark and spotted egg shells and a homemade candler sometimes I just can't be sure....

6. trimpy

Mar 13, 2010
    Grafton, WV
    Thank you so much for the info. Ill candle again in a week and see if I can see anything. The fact that they all looked the same got me a little worried given the stats I have read about how many to expect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by