Day 14 air cell size shipped vs. non-shipped

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by seventreesfarm, Mar 23, 2013.

1. seventreesfarm

seventreesfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Everson, WA
    We candled all the eggs last night and still have quite a lot that are viable. But many of the shipped eggs have iffy air cells. They are large and funny shaped. The homegrown eggs have perfect air cells, but maybe a few a little smaller than I'd like.

We've been keeping humidity upper 20s to mid 30s trying a dry hatch this time. But should I up the humidity in favor of the shipped eggs? Keep it low for my homegrown eggs?

How does humidity and air cell size work with damaged air cells?

I really need some of the shipped eggs to hatch for my breeding program, but would hate to drown any of my homegrown babies after making it so far.

What would all y'alls do?

2. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Could you fill us in on more of the eggs' background? How far did the eggs travel, how were they packaged? How long did they rest before adding them in and what did the air cells look like when you got them? That sort of thing.

I have always had poor luck with shipped eggs, but other people have had really pretty good. Hopefully someone that has experience with dry hatches and shipped eggs can help!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  3. seventreesfarm

seventreesfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Everson, WA
    I'm in washington state and one batch of eggs came from alabama and one from georgia. In one batch 3 were cracked upon arrival, and the rest have saddle shaped air cells, or very low looking and i can see the inner membrane fluttering. The others are marans eggs, so harder to see inside. They were packed perfectly, and none were cracked. Those air cells have a few saddle shaped, but some are just bigger looking than usual.

They all rested for 24 hours on the counter, then went into the bator with the turner off another 24 hours. The chicks are all pretty lively when candled.

4. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Well, at least you have movement, I have heard that Marans are hard to do because the shells are so thick.

I hope someone else with more dry hatch experience chimes in here! Good Luck with your hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by