Day 14 -Attempted egg candling. Saw a dark line inside egg. Gas?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Msbear, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I have a hen on four eggs. Two were from the fridge (only 12 hours) 1 was a nest bait egg (been in the nest for two weeks or so) and one was a funny, oblong egg. We weren't prepared for her to go broody so we gave her what we could:) More like a scientific experiment than a hatch.

I candled them today and noticed a dark ring the went the circumference of the egg on one end. Is this the beginnings of life?? or the dark truth of a gas bubble?? any one??

2. naturemom

naturemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2007
    northern IL
    Sounds like a blood ring-where an embryo started to develop but then died.

3. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I just went and did it again and, to better explain, it looks like an air pocket at the bottom which is light and the rest is dark with veins.

4. missourichickenmama

missourichickenmama SURPRISE!

Jul 17, 2008
    Missouri
    wow.[​IMG] i never heard of that before!!did you take pictures?

5. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    does that mean I don't have a developing chick?? Im so worried. My hen is busy as can be doing her stuff. Her sweet roo and sister hen haven't left the coop in days just to hang with her. It's like they are all in anticipation. If this doesn't happen, she will be so disappointed:(

6. crazychickengirl

crazychickengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Glenmont, Ohio
    Well, I must say that your chances probably aren't that good with the eggs you've chosen! LOL The one that was two weeks old should probably be disposed of since it's probably rotten and will eventually explode. I had a broody on a rotten egg and when I'd lift her up off her nest to candle, I could smell that there was something rotten under there. Also...I guess the gases from the rotten egg can mess up the other eggs.

And I have no clue about the two that were in the fridge...never heard of that before! Although I know chicks never cease to surprise me....they can live through cold temps or very high temps sometimes!

The good news is that what you are seeing sounds like the air pocket and not a blood ring unless it's a red ring. And seeing veins is always a good sign of development! I would candle at night or in a very dark room/closet, etc to check for any movement in the egg. If you don't see anything...I'd just leave it there and see what happens!

Good luck! [​IMG]

7. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Great Advice, CrazyChic!! I did a little googling and I think I may be doin OK. One egg looked kinda clear (I think maybe the bait egg) but the rest were lookin good. I did not see any movement but I'll do the dark place tomorrow and see waz up. Thanks and keep your fingers crossed.

8. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    The network of veins grows from the top of the egg around it and down toward the bottom so you can see the clear place at the bottom. Candle from the top once they get that big and you can see much more.

9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Dark room at night and candle from the big end down into the egg....

10. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Ladies, I candled them last night in a dark room and was so excited to see movement!! Then I noticed a dent in one of them (inward) I put the eggs back under my little hen and this morning I lifted her up a bit and saw a HOLE!! very small but still a hole. I held the eggs and saw movement in there but I think it's too early. The chick will probably dry up. Could it be hatching?? Maybe older than I think?? I thought that when they hatch, the dent is always outward. I am sooooo bummed. what do you think?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by