Day 14 candle - one spaz, one quiet

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BeardedChick, Jan 3, 2009.

1. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you find the embryos are usually active or quiet at day 14?

I have two decent looking eggs in my 'bator at day 14. One has a spazzy fellow in it, the other one has a quiet fellow in it.

Just wondering what people usually see at this point? And of course I'm wondering if the quiet guy is a quitter.

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    To check for quitters this late in the game, I always look for the veins. Just like human babies, they sleep at times, so just because you don't see it moving does not mean it's dead.

3. BeardedChick

Do the veins deteriorate in the quitters?

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yes, eventually (after a day or so) they will fade, and all the blood will pool near the bottom of the egg. That's what causes a blood ring.

5. BeardedChick

Pulled out the carton and candled again (in the carton, so minimal handling and jostling).

I can't see veins on the quiet embryo, so it would be a quitter, right? The bummer is it's a nice sized embryo, so it must have recently quit.

6. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

When I candled, one moved and the other always seemed to be sleepy. Both came out okay and still act that way today! [​IMG]

7. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    I wouldn't throw it out just yet...that happened to me in my last hatch, and the one that I thought was dead, is running around my room!![​IMG]

8. erin0415

erin0415 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    North Texas
    Yeah, I would wait. At day 18 you can see if there has been growth. I have had several that I thought were quitters that hatched. Sometimes veins are hard to see, especially if the eggs are dark or tinted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by