Day 14 Candle...toss or not?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by morgakl2, Aug 22, 2011.

1. morgakl2

morgakl2 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Alright BYC, I need your help. I bought 8 eggs online BYC from PENN. Today is day 14. I just candled them and all put one let the light shine through like Rudolph's nose. Only 1/8 was mostly dark. 7/8 I didn't see any dark spots are blood vessels. Is it time to toss those? My temp has been 98 on the bottom and 101 on the top. Humidity between 48-50%.

2. morgakl2

Jul 24, 2011
    oops! BUT not put and OR not are!!!1 My brain is fried extra crispy. LONG work week.

3. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    it doesn't look good for the 7
    you should definitely see something by now
    look at the beginning of the hatching thread there are great pics of what the egg should look like at different days

4. morgakl2

Jul 24, 2011
    Yeah I just looked at that thread and the 7 look like 52 hours or less [​IMG] I guess it's time to chunk them. Man that's $30 down the trash. I will never do shipped eggs again!

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Shipped eggs are a risk--the average is 50% it seems. That means, as a teacher you'll get this, some times it's 1/8, sometimes 0%, sometimes 7/10 hatch. I have read everything BUT 100 % for shipped eggs on BYC. Sorry you will be only getting 1/8--hope it's a cutie!

I found local eggs for a breed I wanted by using the WHo am I? WHere are you? ( it's the state by state threads). I put out my request. Also, read the breed thread and look for people in your area. I will need to drive an hour one way for a few eggs, and even if only half hatch, I'm doing ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by