We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Day 14 Candling Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dgrif5, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Dgrif5

Dgrif5 Chirping

Jul 27, 2018
    Hi, i'm currently on day 14 of my first attempt at hatching eggs (without the use of a broody hen, anyway). Things have been going alright for a while, with 5 of the original 8 still going (2 infertile, one early quitter), but recently the humidity has been a struggle to keep steady, and i'm worried that it hasn't been quite right and that the air cells may be the wrong size. I've attached some photos of the eggs when I candled them earlier, but they aren't the best quality as candling and taking a photo is a little challenging, sorry.
    8BOzNTyY.jpeg.jpg NVxTxmaq.jpeg.jpg RF6hun1n.jpeg.jpg
    (don't worry, this isn't a secret Samsung add or anything)

any help would be appreciated, thank you. I saw movement in most of them, though I was rushing through it to avoid keeping them out too long, so I didn't look very hard.

edit: the eggs were placed about 11am, and these were candled near 10pm, so technically it's day 14.5

2. RoosterML

RoosterML Songster

They look good to me. My advice stop playing around with them and let r fly. Good luck!

Livingskies, Texas Kiki and Dgrif5 like this.
  3. Dgrif5

Dgrif5 Chirping

Jul 27, 2018
    I've been keeping hands off for the most part don't worry, though it's been a challenge! I only candled day 7, 10 and today (14). 10 was just a confirmation to be sure the infertile ones weren't just unclear (dark shells). one question: as I was hoping to candle before putting them into lockdown, would it hurt to do it the night of day 17 instead of the morning of day 18? thanks.

4. RoosterML

RoosterML Songster

Honestly I don’t see a need to. I know it’s tough to stay hands off. What’s going to change if you candle day 17 or 18? One way or another you’ll find out the results on day 20-22. I always used my nose when candeling to make sure the egg didn’t smell bad. If you run your nose across the top of them and nothing sticks out at you let them be. It is what it is now.

Livingskies and Dgrif5 like this.
  5. Dgrif5

Dgrif5 Chirping

Jul 27, 2018
    alright, thanks for the info! i'll try and keep hands off instead then. I've just seen so much about candling before lockdown that I assumed it was just standard procedure.

Livingskies and Texas Kiki like this.
  6. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki TwatterSpotter

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Looks fine to me too.
    The less you mess with them the better.

Do you have at least one calibrated thermometer in the incubator?
    Did you salt test a humidity gauge?

7. RoosterML

RoosterML Songster

I would only candle an egg if you have a concern for that egg. My biggest concern about going into lockdown would be an egg exploding. I have never had it happen before but i would suspect you would have some fowl odors before. Practice the sniff test!!;)

8. Dgrif5

Dgrif5 Chirping

Jul 27, 2018
    yes, I have a tested thermometer in there, and a hygrometer that I salt tested. it's a little off, but I know by how much so its not too bad.

I'm glad they look alright though, that means i'm most likely doing something right. Thanks for all the help, you're all the best, seriously. Amazingly helpful people, the lot of you!

Livingskies and Texas Kiki like this.
  9. LuvBantums

LuvBantums Songster

Jul 7, 2017
    North Carolina
    I wouldn't worry too much on the humidity unless you live in a desert or an area that is very dry. Sometimes I let my humidity go as low as 18%. I'm not saying for you do this, because every area is different then others

Dgrif5 likes this.
  10. Dgrif5

Dgrif5 Chirping

Jul 27, 2018
    ah okay. As its my first time, and there seemed to be so much conflicting information online about recommended humidity levels, it just got me a little nervous as to correct humidity levels. Glad I don't need to worry so much, and I've learned a lot doing this, so the next set of eggs should be much easier (of course there will be a next set, i'm addicted now)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: